Not seeing the same from the guide

Now I am at the screen Installation Summary.

“The Software - installation source” when selected gives me a very different screen from this page Installation guide | Qubes OS

It doesn’t give me a choice Debian 9 or Whonix but it is asking me 'Which installation source would you like to use?"

When I select to “Verify” on the first option “Auto-detected installation media”, it displays a screen saying “This media is not good to install from.”

So now I select the other option “ISO file” where it lists the USB with the ISO file and I select “Choose an ISO”.

It then gives me a list:
EFI, extrakernels, images, isolinux, LiveOS, Packages, repodata

Do I choose LiveOS?

There are options “run, install, isodir”, which one should I choose?

Should I skip this step?

Try redownload the iso and checksum it, if correct then flash it to usb using etcher (etcher got checksum )
does it work

I’m not sure what the installer is finding, but you might understand it wrong
in this step, it need a iso file, not the usb

Noobie here! Searched the page for hash and there is nothing there about checking for the hash.The ISO is on the USB. I am using Linux Mint and doing the terminal commands. I don’t use etcher. I would have used Rufus instead. I also have used Rufus.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I did everything according to the guide.

I am at the “SOFTWARE” Step, but I am not getting the screen that shows “base environment” on the left column and “Add-ons Selected environment” on the right column

Should I skip this step “SOFTWARE” and go to the next step " Installation destination"?

i’m using wrong word here, i mean checksum (or verifying signatures)

What command you use

you can’t run rufus in linux, are you using windows ? (i don’t like rufus because broke my usb many time)

You can, but after you install, there will no debian and whonix templatevm so there will no appvm based on it (you still can install templatevm after install completed)

Per the guide it says this:
There are two ways to verify Qubes ISOs: cryptographic hash values and detached PGP signatures. Both methods are equally secure. Using just one method is sufficient to verify your Qubes ISO. Using both methods is not necessary, but you can do so if you like. One method might be more convenient than another in certain circumstances, so we provide both. This section covers cryptographic hash values. For the other method, see how to verify detached PGP signatures on Qubes ISOs.

So it is either or. I used the other way “detached PGP signatures”

The command I used was “$ sudo dd if=Qubes-RX-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdY status=progress bs=1048576 && sync” to write the iso to the USB.

I am not using rufus or etcher. I used the command.

Are you writing English or French? I don’t understand what you have just written there. I thought my grammars are worse.

So are you saying now to do the “cryptographic hash values”? I completed verifying signatures and everything went fine without a glitch.

Does anyone else have a better solution?

Are you installing Qubes 4.1? If so, please bear in mind that the documentation reflects the latest stable release, which is Qubes 4.0. The documentation has not yet been updated for Qubes 4.1.

1 Like

okay

Using dd is fine, I can’t force you to use other software

I’m NOT a native English and i’m still learning it (i’m always need google to type english properly)

??
maybe you should check the adw answer
4.1 is still quite buggy

No worries then improve your writing in English

1 Like

4.0.4 according to this Download Qubes OS | Qubes OS

So this page for the guide is wrong?

If it is not then would someone briefly describe what would be the solution here on the “SOFTWARE” section? The issue and problem is clearly described.

I don’t see 4.01. listed from the downloads page.

what you meaning here, that page already updated to 4.0 (latest release)

it still in beta (Qubes 4.1.0-beta1 Available)

try to skip that step and install the missing later is the easiest solution i got in mind now

Do you know why the difference in what it is asking me to do as described here of the problem and from what is said there in the documentation for 4.0.4? Can you answer this?

Is it a bug for 4.0.4 or the documentation is wrong and no one has made any revision to the documentation?

The documentation is wrong or not. No?

Is there something wrong with the ISO?

Which one is it?

Is the problem a normal or abnormal thing? No?

Has anyone come across this issue?

It should be documented for other users to be aware of when they run into the same problem.

This should be documented and not brushed aside as something unimportant.

Why skip the step? If to skip, then it should be documented thoroughly from the guide. There should be a section or another page that lists the different issues that users come across and what to do about them.

This issue or problem would be considered one issue to be noted somewhere from the guide.

Those that want to use Qubes, but if there is no technical support or precise and accurate documentation then it would be a lost.

@nntn, this thread makes no sense.

In your original post you describe something that looks like either a corrupted ISO or a booting screen before the actual installer.

Hence people told you to follow the instructions step by step, download from the Qubes OS website, verify signature, create boot media and then install.

@adw just saw that you complain about your screen looking different than the documentation and he wanted to make sure you are not talking about a beta version (R4.1) of Qubes OS.

It would be helpful for you to confirm:

1. Where did you download?
  2. What was the name of the ISO?
  3. Did the signature match?
  4. What do you see when you boot from the media created from that ISO?

Also, if you don’t mind:

• what computer are you using?
  • have you checked that your CPU supports Vt-d?
  • is your computer already on the HCL? … if so, what did other installing Qubes OS on this computer report?

If I was not able to get to the installer then how was I able to get passed these settings

1. The language
  2. The compatibility test runs to check whether IOMMU-virtualization is active or not succeeded. No “test fails” message popped up.
  3. Was able to set the time

It got this problem at the “SOFTWARE - INSTALLATION SOURCE” part. There is no point in using Qubes if the Debian template is not installed. Is this a false statement? Is Fedora the default template? It seems it is or else it would be one of the choices.

I don’t think I have a reading comprehension. I explained how I verified the ISO. See this post: The only user who has been repeatedly replying was giving me the run around.

It doesn’t list 4.1 as the latest released. It shows 4.0.4.
I wouldn’t have known anything about 4.1
Nowhere it says about 4.1
It makes no sense to even say anything about 4.1 because “DOWNLOADS” is where everyone gets the download of the ISO

Already answered in this message

Lenovo Ideacentre
Already answered. The test didn’t fail. No failed message per the guide
I have just checked there is no Lenovo Ideacentre listed.
It passed the Vt-d test. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

If the ISO name was wrong I wouldn’t have been able to get passed setting the time from the installer or to the point where the Vt-d was checked.

Technically, a developer needs to look into this. It needs to be documented as an issue or possible corruption or bug. The developer would need to somehow recreate this problem to see it. This can’t be brushed aside if you want your users to think the operating system is stabled enough for everyday use.

Technically, a developer needs to look into this. It needs to be documented as an issue or possible corruption or bug. The developer would need to somehow recreate this problem to see it. This can’t be brushed aside if you want your users to think the operating system is stabled enough for everyday use.

Your install media is corrupt as you yourself wrote in your very first post:

When I select to “Verify” on the first option “Auto-detected installation media”, it displays a screen saying “This media is not good to install from.”

How about you try a different USB stick and maybe even a different method (Rufus)?

As long as the verification comes back with “this media is not good to install from” I see no basis for your claim that this is either a documentation nor an installer problem.

Could you tell me why was it able to get passed the 3 settings before the section on “SOFTWARE”? If the USB is bad and the ISO is corrupted, why did it even get to the installer and passed the verifying signature.

Is it because the USB is bad and the section “INSTALLATION SOURCE” from the documentation is different from the problem described here?

What is the purpose of the “INSTALLATION SOURCE”? Is that where Qubes picks the ISO to start the actual installation from the USB ISO file? What is the difference between the “INSTALLATION SOURCE” and the installer?

What could it mean by the “This media is not good to install from.” I used the same USB to install Linux Mint.

No Rufus for Linux Mint. Are you a technical developer? Where can Rufus be found that Linux Mint users can use.

Nowhere in the documentation says to use Rufus. There are terminal commands to be used which are tedious.

Where is the documentation that says that if you run into this issue“This media is not good to install from.” then change the bad USB and redo all over again.

Could you tell me why was it able to get passed the 3 settings before the section on “SOFTWARE”? If the USB is bad and the ISO is corrupted, why did it even get to the installer

…because that part wasn’t corrupted?

and passed the verifying signature.

You did that before writing to the media.

What is the purpose of the “INSTALLATION SOURCE”?

It’s the one option not described by the installation guide. We might add a sentence to instruct the user not to change it unless they know what they are doing.

Is that where Qubes picks the ISO to start the actual installation from the USB ISO file?

The installation source is where the respective packages are retrieved from. This needs to be ‘local media’ (the one you created from the ISO).

What could it mean by the “This media is not good to install from.”

• file system errors
  • not all repositories present

… basically the creation of the media via dd failed for some reason.

No Rufus for Linux Mint.

Yes, that’s a Windows program. I just mentioned it as an easy to user GUI to create the install media.

Are you a technical developer?

You are writing in the community forum, where Qubes OS users help each other. All available support options are enumerated on the website.

Nowhere in the documentation says to use Rufus. There are terminal commands to be used which are tedious.

Which documentation are you referring to? The installation guide on the website even contains screenshots of Rufus.

This is getting nowhere!

I agree. Maybe it is a language issue and I can certainly understand your frustration, but the attitude you show towards the community makes it less likely for others to feel the need to help you. We are all Qubes OS users trying to help each other.

My advice to you stands:

1. recreate the install media (maybe with another USB stick)
  2. make sure it tests OK when starting from it
  3. install following the installation guide step by step
  4. report back if there is still an issue

verifying “How to verify signatures on Git repository tags and commits” it unnecessary for you since you download from website and not from github and compile it

It seems there is a reading comprehension problem. If you look at the page the section is after the section on setting the time. That is what I am referring to. My description of the problem is very clear. I am not getting the same displayed screen asking me to choose Debian or Whonix.

Well not all users are technically there. They are users and not as part of the technical team, where the knowledge base is beyond the users and beyond sufficient.

I don’t think it’s the language issue. It is the reading comprehension or memory issue. I repeated detailed everything but getting the run around from very unknowledgeable users. It’s terrible to say that but you know…

I saw that but you are forgetting that I only use Linux Mint now. I don’t use Windows anymore. Even it says " Windows ISO to USB". Where does it say " Linux ISO to USB" and then below it says to use Rufus.

I don’t think so. It won’t happen. With this kind of support from the community, Qubes won’t be it. So much noise and the run around. Time can’t be spent on this. It’s terrible to say something as such but you know…

There is only 1 ISO. Something is very wrong or this is your guess only.

I deleted this and changed my message before you replied but then now you have amplified it by making accusations. This is what I mean by the noise and how terrible it is.

Some people (including @Sven and Qubes developers) use this forum via email interface. Every new post is sent to them after 10 minutes. Any edits after that are not visible to them. You should always assume good intent.

Did you actually try to recreate the installation media as suggested? This looks like a typical corruption problem, which can hardly be dealt with in another way.

1 Like

@nntn wrote:

I deleted this and changed my message before you replied but then now you have amplified it by making accusations.

@nntn I am using the mailing list feature of the forum, which means I see your post in whatever form it had 10 minutes after you posting. Any edit after that doesn’t make it to me.

If you don’t have the bandwidth to figure things out with the help of the community you can always opt for a laptop that comes with Qubes OS preinstalled:

There are no HCL reports at all for a Lenovo IdeaCentre … so it is quite possible Qubes OS won’t run on it or installing it requires troubleshooting and workarounds. I take it “Time can’t be spent on this” means you are not up for that.

But then again, everything you reported CLEARLY suggests your install media is corrupted. …there is not much even the developers can do in that case other then tell you to create another install media.

Sorry it didn’t work out for you. Good luck!

Also: happy anniversary @fsflover !

1 Like