No Notifications in Qubes OS 4.2

Since upgrading to 4.2 release candidates I noticed I was not getting notifications for things I used to in the past. But didn’t think much of it.

Today I went to Settings Manager → Notifications, and there is a message at the top that reads:

The notification service is not running. No notifications will be shown.

How do I turn on the notification service?

Maybe xfce4-notifyd package in dom0.

That is installed. Is there anything else I can do to check on it?

Check what? Notifications?
You can try notify-send "test" in dom0, it should show notification.

Also you can check ps aux | grep xfce4-notifyd in dom0, it should show running notification daemon xfce4-notifyd.

2 Likes

That is what I was asking for, thanks.

The daemon seems to be running, it says: xfce4-notifyd-config --socket-id=62929429

However, running notify-send “test” returns:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name is not activatable

Which reminds me of a clarification. I do get notifications from other Qubes/VMs, just not from dom0, for example when using the global clipboard. And I can run notify-send "test" in any other Qube/VM and it works.

I found solutions to the above error, such as:

But it requires a location for notification-daemon. In dom0 I do not have notification-daemon in /usr/lib.

which notification-daemon

returns nothing, and

sudo dnf install notification-daemon

returns “no match for argument”

1 Like

I’m not quite sure if xfce4-notifyd-config is the proper daemon due to the config suffix.

My notifications (i.e. starting VMs/VMs shutting down) disappeared when I switched to i3 in 4.2. I read this before. Have you switched to i3 or something similar too by any chance? This used to work in 4.1 without manual intervention.
I fixed this pretty much the way it is described in your askubuntu question. Maybe this works for you aswell.

The notification daemon you are looking for is located at /usr/lib64/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd. Verify this before though and locate the proper path for you if required. So you end up with something like this:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications
Exec=/usr/lib64/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd

In /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service.

1 Like

That fixed it. Yes I use i3, so seems the upgrade to 4.2 broke this in i3?

I think it is fair to say yes.

You had the issue, I had it and at least two users here:

1 Like

I found this happened in 4.1 as well and added to that ticket: