So far no success yet using the recovery tool, trying both solutions. I may need to try the first again on a real os, but I expect it’ll probably do the same. My bios supports UEFI or UEFI+Legacy modes, and I use the latter, not sure if that’s relevent.
Oh thank you for that tip – now it works!
My understanding is:
I was using the UEFI installer, switched boot order to use legacy installer instead.
Just did a fresh install this way.
That’s it, then it just works.
Thank you all for the amazing help and guidance, it has made me so happy to get this running again.
I am having this no bootable device found problem with a Dell Latitude 7290, Qubes 4.1.2
I tried this fix from the docs and the one in the post above above but the problem I’m having is the /boot directory does not contain the EFI folder as the instruction suggest. All it contains is a symlink initramfs-184.108.40.206.qubes.fc32.x86_64.img ->/run/install/repo/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
Any hints greatly appreciated.
EDIT. OK I needed to mount /dev/sda1 first - but now I find there is no xen.cfg file in efi/EFI/qubes/ am I getting closer?
If I understand correctly, then the /dev/sdb/ is your Qubes [install] USB stick … and /dev/sda/ should be the internal hard drive (~ 240G hdd/ssd?) - do you have more than one hard drive in the system?
The /dev/nvme0n1 would have been if you had NVMe drives in the machine.
No, there’s no /dev/sdc. I’ve tinkered with all the BIOS settings, UEFI on/off. Legacy on/off, auto/manual partitioning, but it always seems to come to this point. I’m sure I’m missing something as it’s a bog standard laptop, but what that thing is I don’t know. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help.
Right, I’m over that hurdle. In case it helps others, here are the BIOS settings that allowed me to continue the installation.
Boot list option - UEFI
Advanced boot options - legacy rom and legacy boot both selected
UEFI path security - always
Integrated NIC - enabled with pxe
SATA - AHCI
Drives - SATA-2 and M2-PCIe both selected
USB - enable boot support and enable external USB both selected
Secure boot - off, Secure boot mode - audit # this mode selection is one of the changes I made before the successful reboot, but I doubt if it made a difference since SB is off
Key management - pk
Intel SoftwareGuard - Software controlled
Virtialisation - Intel enabled, VT for direct I/O enabled, Trusted execution enabled. # Trusted execution was disabled previously. I think this might have been the culprit