NetworkManager disconncetd

Hey, Can’t connect to my wifi … Because I have this issue while trying to connect to wifi “networkmanager is disconnected”
I can’t see any wifi to connect .

How I can solve this problem?

Here are a few questions that help find the problem:

Have you been able to use your wifi on 4.1 or 4.0 in the past?
What network adapter do you have?
Can you see it with (command line commands) ifconfig or iwconfig in your sys-net?
What is the output of lspci -v in dom0? (the part with the network adapter is relevant)
Can you see the adapter in an lspci -v in your sys-net?

1 Like

Yes , I was able to use my wifi on 4.1and 4.0

Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software (Gigabit Ethernet Driver)

ens6: flags=4099KUP‚BROADCAST ‚MULTICAST mtu 1500
ether txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX: packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 .B)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device interrupt 40 memory 0xf2000000-f2020000

lo: flags=73<UP ‚LOOPACK ‚RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet netmask
inet ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10
Loop txqueuelen 1000 (local loopback)
RX packets 60 bytes 3360 (3.2 KIB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 60 bytes 3360 (3.2 KIB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

Yes, I can see my adaptor

The lscpi -v outputs look good, but is for the ethernet adapter, not the wifi.

Ok that is interesting!

Just in case: You have not changed something like changing the sys-net template or something?

What i have experienced over multiple devices was that the wifi sometimes does not autoconnect, but i can see the networks and add them again without problems.

Just to rule out some weird driver issues, try to look at your lspci -v in sys-net and dom0 again to find the wifi.

If your sys-net does not recognize the wifi correctly, a iwconfig will return only “no wireless extension” devices.

1 Like

Is it possible to reset and restart my NetworkManager ?

Yes, you could delete all associated configuration to make it “brand new” (resetting).

You could restart the service with sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager in sys-net or restart the whole qube.

If you like you can try to completely restart qubesOS before deleting configs and if restarting the qube does not work.

Just to make sure that a reset would actually work, it is necessary that sys-net actually sees your wifi card and knows how to talk to it. This can be checked with iwconfig. This is my output:

lo        no wireless extensions.

ens6f0    no wireless extensions.

wls7      IEEE 802.11  ESSID: $ESSID 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.24 GHz  Access Point: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  
          Bit Rate=866.7 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-26 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:18   Missed beacon:0

vif3.0    no wireless extensions.

I am connected to my wifi right now so your output will look different. The important thing is, that there is one device that does not say “no wireless extensions.”

If it is not there, your network manager wont know about it and resetting it or just restarting the service would not work.

I already restart my qubes and still have the same problem.

I need help to now to simply restart my
NetworkManager.

In case you have not noticed, i edited my response to include instruction on how to restart the NetworkManager service.

If you have restarted the whole qubesOS restarting the service unfortunately wont cut it, as the service would be restarted that way.

Roadmap on troubleshooting missing wifi in qubes

This is the roadmap on how to wifi troubleshoot. At the steps with [N] i have some additional information that is really worth reading before starting down below.

So you are in the position, that suddently your qubesOS is not connected to your wifi for some reason. It worked once and you did not change anything you can think. No worries, we can fix this.

You first have to determine:

1. Can you see networks/your network?

If yes: It “forgot” the network. Add it/reconnect. This may happen again, but will get rarer until it does work 100% of times.

If no:

1. Does sys-net see the the wifi card and recognizes it as such? (iwconfig in sys-net should display wifi device[2])

If yes: Restart network manager. (sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager in sys-net or restart whole qube[3])

If no:

1. Is the wificard present as a PCI device in sys-net? (sudo lspci -v in sys-net should show wifi device[1])

If Yes: Driver issue, what to do is dependend on what sudo lspci -v says the card is.

If no:

1. Can dom0 see the PCI card? (sudo lspci -v [1] in dom0).

If yes: Check settings for missing device assignment. Assign card to sys-net. Exact commands/device is dependend on output of lspci

If no:

1. Check bios if card is activated.

If no: Activate card in bios
If yes:

1. Try with another OS or in another device to determine if it is physically functional

Other things one can try and useful stuff:

• [1]: lspci -v may spit out many things. You can grep for it with sudo lspci -v | grep --before-context 20 --after-context 10 wifi. This will print the 20 lines before all lines containing “wifi” and the following 10. Usually this is enough to get the device name and address. Here is an example output of what we are looking for.
00:06.0 0280: 8086:2723 (rev 1a)
	Subsystem: 8086:0084
	Physical Slot: 6
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 40
	Memory at f2024000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

It may speed up finding it, but not finding it with that does not necessarily mean it is missing! As you can see, the wifi device can be quite hidden (usually it is not tho). In the worst case you have to go through all devices and determine with your favorite search engine if it is the wifi card or not.

• [2] You are looking for some big block of text like this:
lo        no wireless extensions.

ens6f0    no wireless extensions.

wls7      IEEE 802.11  ESSID: $ESSID 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.24 GHz  Access Point: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF  
          Bit Rate=866.7 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-26 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:18   Missed beacon:0

vif3.0    no wireless extensions.

If you only have “no wireless extentions.” lines, your sys-net does not know how to talk to the card (or does not even see it).

• [3] When restarting sys-net, the gui will not allow you unless all qubes with networking are shut down. You can use the dom0 command line and do things anyway like a pro with the command: qvm-shutdown --wait --force sys-net && qvm-start sys-net :slight_smile:.
  • Using a USB wifi device attached to sys-net and see if that works to ensure that the whole setup is “able to wifi”.
  • Remove MAC addresses! Mac addresses are permanent hardware serial numbers that are transmitted and can be received by anybody in range. For that reason they usually are deleted before posting logs or terminal outputs. It is not detrimental if you accidentally posted it, but it is proper OPSEC/privacy to remove them. They look something like: d4:a5:93:cd:00:b2. Just change it to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF for example, as i did in the iwconfig output.

This would be the whole roadmap through “Wifi not working” as far as i can see.

2 Likes