Make an online movie [in browser] to play correctly

If I’m trying to see an online movie it will be slowly and unwatchable.
What can I do in order to be able to see online movies?

If you need to view video in browser, you can use

• chromium
  • firefox-esr-78
  • firefox-esr-91 with gfx.webrender.force-disabled := True (about:support must show compositing = Basic).

If you’re using debian, then currently only the last one receives timely security updates.

4 Likes

Worked. Thank you

This setting is not available (anymore?). And as far as I can tell it is about to get removed in future version anyway. So… are there other suggestions on how to tackle bad performing videos in browser movies?

This setting is not available (anymore?).

Yeah. it only works in older versions (like the current firefox-esr).

For the latest firefox, try downloading Firefox from mozilla instead of the debian-packaged version. For some videos mozilla’s build has noticeably lower CPU usage than the debian build, even same version number (!?).

I could not even find it in 91.5 (iirc), so the current esr version in debian-11 :thinking:

Well… I guess it is worth a try for the time being, but still… I am wondering how this will end eventually :cry:

I just checked and the flag is effective in firefox 91.5.0esr (debian-bullseye).

1 Like

Thanks a lot for coming back! I just did not see it… but, of course, you are totally right, it is there on this version :grin:

1 Like

How to downgrade Firefox 102 browser on Debian 11 back to esr-91?

I try to manually install it but both on the Disposable and other Qubes it still starts the new 102 version.

Don’t. ESR 91 is wildly outdated (final release was in August 2022) and no longer receives security patches. Even ESR 102 support is going to end in about three months, in favor of the upcoming ESR 115:

1 Like

The other two options did not work. When I installed Chromium I could solve it. I only run Chromium for online meetings. I avoid it for anything else, including web surfing.

Brave browser.