Lenovo Ideapad C340-14API (2019)
Upgraded from stock 8 GB RAM (see Notes section).
I have tested this laptop with Qubes for about two weeks now.
- AMD Ryzen 5 35000U
- 20 GB RAM - 18 GB available
- Vega 8 integrated graphics - 2 GB RAM dedicated to the card
- Samsung SSD 256 GB
- 14.00 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel touch screen
- All USB ports
- Laptop screen at 1080p
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Aux with headphones
- Wi-Fi seems capped at 30 Mbit/s
- Occured once: System froze, then force-rebooted, then a motherboard alarm going off. Occured when I was shutting down 5-6 qubes at once. Not sure why this would trigger an alarm, the laptop was not unusually hot. I forced a shutdown with the power button and laptop has worked normally since.
- Fingerprint reader
8 GB was not enough to run two AppVMs simultaneously at the default configuration. In practice this laptop has merely 6 GB RAM available because 2 GB is always dedicated to the GPU. Upgrading to 20 GB made a huge difference.
Significantly better than I expected. Enough to run 3-4 AppVMs at once – although video playback will then lag. Windows 10 Enterprise can be run without issues. I recommend enabling performance mode in the BIOS settings.
Performance on battery is poorer. Haven’t looked further into this. I’m using AC, but running on battery is not an issue if usage is light.
- VLC: playback of 1080p@30fps is smooth
- Youtube: playback of 1080p@30fps is usually smooth, some lag at video start
- HBO Max: 1080p playback is smooth in the Firefox version downloaded from mozilla.org with Recommended hardware settings turned on. CPU usage hovers around 10-30%.
AppVM settings for smooth video playback:
- Fedora 38 template
- Codecs and VLC from RPM Fusion
- Kernel-latest (6.1)
- Crank up memory and vCPUs until playback is smooth
Considering that the processor is not exactly a beast, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Qubes performs on this laptop. But please, if you’re buying a laptop to use for Qubes, don’t choose one with this CPU. I would invest in something much more powerful if I was buying a new computer today.
--- layout: 'hcl' type: 'notebook' hvm: 'yes' iommu: 'yes' slat: 'yes' tpm: 'unknown' remap: 'yes' brand: | LENOVO model: | 81N6 bios: | AGCN30WW(V1.13) cpu: | AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx cpu-short: | FIXME chipset: | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Root Complex [1022:15d0] chipset-short: | FIXME gpu: | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso [1002:15d8] (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) gpu-short: | Vega 8 network: | Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31) memory: | 18370 scsi: | usb: | 2 versions: - works: 'yes' qubes: | R4.1 xen: | 4.14.5 kernel: | 6.3.9-1 ---