Keyboard stops working after entering disk password until bootup

I cannot type in my login password but im able to type on the disk password. I’m using external usb, it seems that until bootup at some point it loses the external usb because then im not able to switch screen to black and back to qubes logo until bootup. When the loading bar reaches near the half the lights on the numpad go out.

One time before i accessed the drive over fedora live media, has this something done to the drive?

If you created sys-usb during installation, then that is likely the problem. The sys-usb VM manages and assigns USB input to different VMs. By default, USB keyboards are blocked from accessing the administrative domain (dom0) which is required for user login. The disk password can be typed because Qubes hasn’t booted yet. Are you using a laptop? Did you use the external keyboard during installation? Is there a way to use the internal keyboard for your login? If not, you can fix the problem but I don’t recall how to do that. Maybe someone else can help you. In the meantime, look at this:

Im using normal Pc and it has losen the boot entry and i recovered it with efibootmgr on fedora live media.

One time before it worked fine and it bootet normal ajd everything was fine but this time i have no usb access.

Everything worked fine before on this machine.

If you’re using a desktop and your motherboard has a PS/2 port, you can get a PS/2 - USB adapter to connect your keyboard and use only it during installation, without connecting any other USB devices until after you have logged in and the desktop environment has loaded. You can change selection of items currently displayed on the screen with the tab key. Then you can connect your USB mouse. This will also allow you to choose sys-usb to be created for you on the initial configuration screen (first boot after install) so you don’t have to do it later.

I have not newly installed qubes nor i have changed anything but just the efi system partition for boot entry. Everything worked fine before.

You can try using automatic configuration from the pre-install setup, for the drive on which you intend to install QubesOS. Just choose to delete everything, reclaim the entire storage space the drive has to offer. This should fix any bootloader issues. If you want to make some custom configurations to the drive, I’m not knowledgeable enough to help, sorry.
Have a look at the documentation partition provided if you haven’t.

Will i get my data back? I don’t think so? But i don’t know.

try adding qubes.skip_autostart kernel option on grub menu, so your kernel option would be …rhgb quiet qubes.skip_autostart.

press e for editing then f10 for continue boot.

if keyboard is working, then maybe there’s a problem in your sys-usb.

Will this be possible without live media or installation media with rescue mode?

Best regards

no need just edit kernel option on grub menu as i said above.

1 Like

Lol i did not know that it will be that easy, does it contain efibootmgr also? Thank you bro

I just realized that i do not boot in grub but in uefi.

Would i be able to edit something through efi shell?

I use uefi too, but i still use grub, are you sure that you don’t use grub ?

the boot process would be

Start up > boot device manager (if exist) > grub menu (5 sec to automatically load) > load kernel and etc.

1 Like

Thank you for it, that you are taking the time to explain fundamental things to me. I just wondered, because i get no Grub pre-boot screen as i get on my Laptop in legacy mode.

Best regards

I will try it out when I’m home again

Is there a difference between booting in uefi with csm or in native uefi with or without qubes? I’m booting in native mode, without csm mode enabled, with Secure Boot switched to “Other Os”. Im just asking because im interested. But nvm i will attend IT school soon next year, then i would hopefully be able to look the source code up for myself.

I thought that grub would be unnecessary if efi is enabled? Is the “vanilla install” installation with grub on top of uefi? This would be a bit unwieldy and not as performant as with only uefi i guess?

what’s your pc spec / model ?
what qubes os version you use ?

I’ve tried all, and nothing difference, except the boot process, but all of them still use grub2 as default. I know that you don’t need grub to boot efi.

I think lets talk later after you in home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vmx and Vt-d was disabled wtf.

I have not figured out how i would be able to change kernel option from grub menu. I pressed e after i selected boot device in uefi bdm but nothing happend.