KDE - changing the way you use Qubes

No one?

Just ran this on 4.1ā€¦ Have never used KDE before, at least not in the last 10-15 years. It looks great. The activity functionality is really nice.

I too had to run the long command that @sven posted, but it worked.

What exactly is the issue with the missing icons? Iā€™ve looked into it and it just looks like the icons need to be bundled together, though I could be wrong but thatā€™s what it looked like for XFCE

Iā€™ve been using Qubes for a couple of years, and had slowly tuned XFCE to look nice for me, with dark theming, dpi scaling, etc. Took me many collective hours, now I try KDE, and getting the same kind of config takes less than an hour. And wow, itā€™s beautiful.
Absolutely love the Activities, and being able to force-move windows from a qube to it.
Installed on R4.1 easily with just kde-settings-qubes, then I also switched to sddm from lightdm.

thanks @unman for GitHub - unman/kde and thanks to anyone who worked on the integration

1 Like

Iā€™m loving KDE, but unfortunately Iā€™m having trouble editing my Application Menu. When I right click on it and go to ā€˜edit applicationsā€™, and make alterations like adding new submenuā€™s and dragging AppVMā€™s in to them, and then save, it doesnā€™t change anything.

Nothing changes in the KDE Menu editor, and even after saving when I close and reopn the ā€˜edit applicationsā€™ box all the previous changes are gone. This persisted after reboot also.

When I run kmenuedit from Dom0 terminal, I get this:

[User@dom0 ~]$ kmenuedit
qt.svg: link #facesize is undefined!
qt.svg: /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/rocs.svg:5099: Could not resolve property: #linearGradient4636
qt.svg: /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/rocs.svg:5099: Could not resolve property: #linearGradient4592
qt.svg: /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/rocs.svg:5099: Could not resolve property: #linearGradient4247
qt.svg: QSvgHandler: Image filename is empty
kbuildsycoca4 runningā€¦
kbuildsycoca4(12970)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/Testing.desktopā€ has Type= ā€œApplicationā€ but no Exec line

kbuildsycoca4(12970) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service : ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/Testing.desktopā€
kbuildsycoca4(12970)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/Test1.desktopā€ has Type= ā€œApplicationā€ but no Exec line

kbuildsycoca4(12970) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service : ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/Test1.desktopā€
kbuildsycoca4(12970)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/test2.desktopā€ has Type= ā€œApplicationā€ but no Exec line

kbuildsycoca4(12970) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service : ā€œ/home/User/.local/share/applications/test2.desktopā€

"

Iā€™ve tried to run kbuildsyscoca4 --noincremental I get the same errors as above.

Any idea what the issue is here? Iā€™d love to be able to customize the menu!

The problem is that Qubes forces you to use the Qubes menu.

Edit the file: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/55xfce-qubes.sh, so that it
looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/sh

# Use Qubes provided menu instead of default XFCE one
if [ "$XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP" = "KDE" ]; then
  XDG_MENU_PREFIX="kf5-"
else
  XDG_MENU_PREFIX="qubes-"
fi

export XDG_MENU_PREFIX

Now KDE will use the (editable) KDE menu and other DEs will use the
Qubes menu.

1 Like

Unfortunately all I get (after half an hour of downloading god-knows-what from the internet) when I issue sudo qubes-dom0-update @kde-desktop-qubes is

Module or Group 'kde-desktop-qubes' is not available.
Error: Nothing to do.

It wokred! Thank you Unman! I just had to reboot to get it to work.

Last questions I promise :stuck_out_tongue:

1.With the Qubes Application Menu, the one that i saw you were using, Iā€™m not able to scroll down it to see VMā€™s that are in lower areas. Itā€™s such a big menu I canā€™t imagine this will be a big issue as I begin to organize my VMā€™s in folders, but I just wanted to check and see if there was some kind of wiz solution you had for that?

1. How do you make certain AppVMā€™s only open in certain workspaces?

Thanks a lot, love your forum contributions, and youā€™ve converted a Quber to your KDE army. I FAR prefer it to xfce, and did so almost immediately. The customizationā€™s were immensely more intuitive, and I say that assuming xfce has that ability but itā€™s out of sight / reach for me. perhaps it doesnā€™t. The look of my setup feels more personalized to me and I do think it works better with compartmentalization.

Try what unman said here

For 4.1 you can just use sudo qubes-dom0-update kde-settings-qubes
Perhaps include sddm as well for a better login screen

OK, Iā€™m in it now.

Screen shots 8 and 9 show editing the applications menu. I spent quite some time doing this. Apparently it shows me a folder on dom0 for every single qube that ever existed on my system. It took me twenty minutes to delete all that crap, since thereā€™s no way to do multiple selections. It also shows a bunch of no longer existing qubes as qubes at the top of the list.
Also with respect to that menu editor, there doesnā€™t seem to be any way to dragā€“with a mouseā€“something to (or within) the top level without sending it straight to the bottom of the menu. a horizontal line between two elements highlights as if to say ā€œthis is where it will go when you release the mouseā€ but BAM, bottom of the list of hundreds of items (including all those damn folders).

So having plowed my way through all of that and rearranged things in a much more palatable fashionā€¦it doesnā€™t actually save my changes. I also canā€™t find the menu that this actually controls.

[NOTE: I scrolled back and saw the bit about editing the file whose name starts with 55. It did not help even after a full shutdown and reboot.]

Iā€™d love to add more desktops. Unfortunately the ā€œdesktop iconā€ you reference is missing, totally absent and doesnā€™t appear in a list of widgets I can add.

So is the menu at the top left (which you referred to as the top right).
[Editā€¦tamed the bottom menu icon arrangement]

Run kmenuedit in terminal and do changes, save, then observe what it gives you after. Thatā€™s how I got my error messages.

Also, run kbuildsyscoca4 --noincremental after youā€™ve made your changes and saved, and see if they are there.

OK, Iā€™m in it now.

Screen shots 8 and 9 show editing the applications menu. I spent quite some time doing this. Apparently it shows me a folder on dom0 for every single qube that ever existed on my system. It took me twenty minutes to delete all that crap, since thereā€™s no way to do multiple selections. It also shows a bunch of no longer existing qubes as qubes at the top of the list.

At the top level, use the ā€œMove upā€/ā€œMove Downā€ buttons.

I think you have not read my last post to this thread.

I think you have not looked at the available widgets - under ā€œPagerā€ it says
ā€œSwitch between virtual desktopsā€.

Right click on the Bar and select ā€œEdit Panelā€ - you can then drag and
drop items around to move them.
If you are sloppy with the mouse, there is no reason why you cannot drag
items off the panel to the desktop - you can then drag and drop them
from the desktop to the panel where you want them.

Almost nothing here is Qubes specific, (bar the setting of
XDG_MENU_PREFIX), and you can easily find help with KDE online.

Havenā€™t read your last post?

You mean this one?

For 4.1 you can just use sudo qubes-dom0-update kde-settings-qubes
Perhaps include sddm as well for a better login screen

I most certainly DID read it or we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation. I wouldnā€™t have got in AT ALL if I hadnā€™t done this. And now Iā€™m in and itā€™s one of those things where I can see if I could get it workingā€¦Iā€™d love it.

[Massive edit, because I had a breakthrough on the menus]

I got the menus to work finallyā€“I went back to the post where you advised to edit 55xfce-qubes.sh. This didnā€™t work the first time, but I discovered that for some reason XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP is being set to ā€œplasmaā€ not ā€œKDEā€. (Could this be a clue as to whatā€™s going on?) So I modified it again to switch menu prefix when itā€™s either ā€œKDEā€ or ā€œPlasmaā€ and the menu is MUCH better. The editor now takes saves (and even remembered my prior edits!). It still shows me things in the editor that wonā€™t show on the actual menu (but only stuff I never got around to deletingā€“the scores of dom0 folders are GONE), and separators donā€™t show at all in the actual menu.

I did discover the Up/Down arrows before my first gripe postā€¦fortunately. But they are cumbersome when the menu is long.

[Desktop switcher and desktops in general:]

I did look through the widgets, for something named ā€œdesktopā€ or something like that. So now I went back and looked for Pager. Itā€™s already installed. I went into the setup (with the mouse hazards) and realized that itā€™s there, but it only shows up while youā€™re setting up the panel. I tried dragging it around, but when I leave setup it disappears. None of the settings for it help, either, other than using it as an activity pagerā€¦but then it still wonā€™t let me switch desktops, or create new ones. Itā€™s almost as if it thinks I have NO desktops.

Youā€™re right. None of this is Qubes. Itā€™s all KDE. But this appears to be some sort of custom KDE build of it, so if I go looking over there theyā€™ll just tell me to come back here.

Last and fatal problem, and probably not something to be solved here, but Iā€™ll have to switch back to xfce if I canā€™t solve itā€¦sound only works with one monitor unplugged (dual monitor system). I doubt this is anything KDE related at allā€¦because in the xfce desktop I generally have to unplug a monitor, plug it back in, and then resetup the desktop to not mirror every time I reboot, to get the sound to work. Thereā€™s a glitch at a lower level (or higher level, depending on how you look at it)ā€¦and KDE just doesnā€™t get along with it as well as xfce does. If I end up ditching KDE because of it I recognize itā€™s probably not KDEā€™s fault.

I want to clarify, Iā€™m not that other guy who hated on KDE and Gnome. (I responded to him, hating on Gnomes alone.) I use KDE at work, in fact, though Iā€™ve learned to back away from the mouse if I ever accidentally trigger ā€œedit panel.ā€ I AM trying to get this to work, because as I said it looks like Iā€™d love it if I could get the bugs out of it.

Havenā€™t read your last post?

THIS ONE - my threads clearly differ from yours, but it cant have been
hard to find.

Drag and drop the items you donā€™t want to .hidden - or drop them in to
another qube menu and delete that qube.

It thinks you have ONE desktop, so the pager doesnā€™t appear.
What would be the point of a button that loads the ONE desktop you have?

Again, a basic search would tell you how to set up new virtual desktops.
You can RIGHT click on the pager item in panel edit mode, and select
ā€œAdd virtual desktopā€, or use ā€œSystem Settings ->Workspace Behaviour ā†’
Virtual Desktopsā€

It isnā€™t. It is standard KDE.

This sounds like a peculiarity of your system.
I have never experienced it.
Without far more detail of your system ,(not here), I have no input.

Now whoā€™s not reading posts?

I stated how I had done exactly that edit, and it hadnā€™t worked. That was in the post you responded to, accusing me of not having read your ā€œlast postā€. (The one that starts with ā€œOK, Iā€™m in it now.ā€) Here it is, since you clearly didnā€™t read IT.

[NOTE: I scrolled back and saw the bit about editing the file whose name starts with 55. It did not help even after a full shutdown and reboot.]

In response to that post you accused me of not having read the post about editing that file, but you simply refered to it as your ā€œlast postā€ (it wasnā€™t; the one I quoted before, was last). But it doesnā€™t matter; it should be clear that I had read BOTH of them by the time you accused me of not having read ā€œ[your] last post.ā€

In the post you just replied to, I went even further; I described how I had figured out WHY editing that file hadnā€™t worked, originally, and what I had done to fix it (checking for both KDE and plasma). You clearly ignored that part, because you answered everything BUT that before you again accused me of having ignored that post.

Now I did EDIT both posts, but the edits occurred well before your responses. I suspect (since you seem unaware that I had managed to solve the menu problem) that you somehow never saw my editsā€“again, made before you responded.

I would like to suggest going back and editing your post about editing the file to reflect the modification I made.

OK, now to the remaining thingsā€¦OK, I admit it hadnā€™t even occurred to me to try to use the desktop manager while in setup modeā€“everything looks like little tokens you drag around, with the intent of getting out of setup mode, it didnā€™t seem like you could use them in setup mode. I was going to (at some point in the future) try to research to see if there was some other way of setting up desktops. (My thinking was: Logically it should show up in a setting panel somewhere, in fact I am pretty sure years ago it used toā€“a switch to set number of desktopsā€“I just couldnā€™t find it.) I was actually using activities like desktops for the interim. I have switched back and made the mod; all my old activities are now desktops.

[Observations (no response expected, you might be interested though) 1: Desktops within the same activity apparently canā€™t have different wallpaper colors from each other; so I might switch back to one-desktop activities used as if they were desktops. 2: Once I got rid of all but one activity, the activity manager went invisible, consistent with the logic you outlined re: desktops. I was expecting that. 3: I was hoping desktops wouldnā€™t cause all windows to get dumped onto one desktop when switching between KDe and xfceā€¦that would have been super nice but not expected. Unfortunately, they all do get dumped together and must be re-positioned when I switch KDE<->xfce. So thereā€™s no reason not to switch back to one-desktop activities.]

I probably wonā€™t do too much more with it however, because of the audio issue, which I didnā€™t expect you to have anything to say about. I merely mentioned it to try to make it clear that although I would like to use KDE, I simply canā€™tā€“I will pursue solutions elsewhere but not with much optimism.

Which is a damned shame, because believe it or not I agree with your evaluation of it re: Qubes. It lets you solve everything addressed by the ā€œnewā€ menu thatā€™s not been officially released [itā€™s not as automatic but it gives you FULL control], and it lets you go quite a bit further.

I want to conclude by thanking you for your help. (Iā€™ll try not to edit this post.)

Your repeated references to ā€œaccusingā€ seems over the top, and your
comment here is misplaced.
Itā€™s a ā€œfeatureā€ of discourse in mailing mode that if you EDIT a post,
no updated mail gets sent.
Users who interact with the forum in mailing mode never see edits.
I cant read what I dont have.

Iā€™m interested by this - in none of the users I support has
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP been ā€œplasmaā€ - that isnt even a supported XDG keyword
afaik.
I cant explain why you saw this, but as you did, your solution is good.

1. This was removed from KDE 5 on the grounds that Activities
    provided the same feature.
  2. It would be too much to hope that switching from one DE to
    another would carry over all customisations. I dont think that any one
    does this.

I meant that you should open a separate thread for that specific issue.

My apologies!

Fair enough, Iā€™ll take the hardware issue elsewhere (I thought of something simple to try tonight). The only reason I hadnā€™t done so before was because in xfce it was merely an annoyance, not a total lack of function.

As for KDE itself, youā€™ve responded to everything of importance. Thanks!!!

The last lingering puzzle is why itā€™s called ā€œplasmaā€ on my system, but now that Iā€™ve compensated for that I can ignore it for now. (Itā€™s less important than the audio.)

Jeez buddy heā€™s here helping you and you are being passive aggressive & snarky. Pretty inappropriate.

Did you read my very LAST posting? right above yours? I apologized and thanked unman profusely (he solved everything but the hardware issue, and I know I need to take that elsewhere).

If thereā€™s something ā€œsnarky and passive aggressiveā€ in that, it was absolutely not my intention. (Could your perception be colored by my previous messages, which I am now trying to make up for?) I feel pretty badly about the posts prior to that (which resulted from miscommunication, because I didnā€™t realize he couldnā€™t see my edits).

2 Likes