Issues with Debian template and installing Kali

I downloaded the installer direct from the homepage made by Rufus an installable USB Stick. with this I made the installation on my x230.

at this point I have to say that in my opinion a full disk encryption (fde) is including /boot. by the way /boot is not encrypted!

so I installed qubes. after installing I made updates by qube updater and debian failed to update.
so I looked how to solve the problem and updated again and debian 11 was updating and the debian template was broken because of no debian 11 support. than I had to reinstall the template for debian 10 and fixed it by changing it to oldstable now it is working but I cannot change sources.list to install third party repositories.

I wanted to install Kali like in the homepage is written but no support for qubes 4.08. so I even cannot run Kali instead of debain.

so for my point Kali isn’t working until now and I will follow your GitHub instructions today, we will see

normally I follow the instructions on the official website.

@ceomi wrote:

after installing I made updates by qube updater and debian failed to update.

what was the error message?

so I looked how to solve the problem and updated again and debian 11 was updating and the debian template was broken because of no debian 11 support.

Qubes OS R4.0 comes with Debian 10 (Buster). Is that the one that failed updating?

Did you download and install Debian 11 (Bullseye) templates or perform an in-place upgrade to from Buster? How did you do that / did you follow the instruction on the Qubes OS website?

What do you mean by “no Debian 11 support”?

than I had to reinstall the template for debian 10

OK …

and fixed it by changing it to oldstable now it is working but I cannot change sources.list to install third party repositories.

Again “oldstable” … why? The sources in the Debian templates use “buster” or “bullseye” for good reason … so things don’t change unexpectedly for you. Why do you think you have to change to “oldstable”? Why not just leave “buster”? What works with “oldstable” that didn’t work with “buster”?

Really would love to help, but you are not giving enough information to understand what your issue is.

I choose qubes updater and debian filed with red X than I made sudo apt-get update in the template terminal and there was written that debian but buster isn’t current anymore and I have to change to change the repository. than I read and found out I can update to 11 by changing to stable that the template didn’t worked anymore and I found out that 11 isn’t supported than I reinstalled debain 11 and installed 10 again and changed the repository to old stable.

now it works fine.