Trouble installing Windows 10

Hi there,

I want to tell you my feedback and need help for my project.

At first I am used to many different Linux distributions but qubes is the first distro which really makes me going crazy sometimes.

The first point is I have debian problems direkt after installing qubes. than I had to reinstall the template and install debian minimal. but until manual changing sources.list to oldstable nothing worked. still after that wireguard isn’t able to install without issues.

Fedora is better but I really hate it that the qubes restricts my behaviours.

I use qubes on my x230 and I wanted to install a windows 10 qube with my original windows 10 licence but I cannot install it at all. I got a qube with windows 10 running but I cannot use USB network etc so I have a dead qube. and if I install qwt the wine doest open anymore.

and what I also don’t like ist that I have the restrictions to the user qubes. so I cannot even install Kali Linux to solve my debian problems.

so that is really anoying!

what can I do to run windows?

I hope I can solve my problems and qubes can be used in my daily live.

Hi @ceomi, since you are an experienced Linux user you might have skipped some of the documentation?

The first point is I have debian problems direkt after installing qubes.

What problems?

than I had to reinstall the template and install debian minimal.

Why?

but until manual changing sources.list to oldstable nothing worked.

I am using Debian qubes for years and never had to do that. It must be a result of things that happened in previous steps. Can you provide a little more detail – we cannot guess what “nothing worked” means.

still after that wireguard isn’t able to install without issues.

Buster still needs backports for Wireguard, not sure about Bullseye.

Fedora is better but I really hate it that the qubes restricts my behaviours.

How? (just out of interest, I prefer Debian too)

I use qubes on my x230 and I wanted to install a windows 10 qube with my original windows 10 licence but I cannot install it at all.

Have you tried qvm-create-window-qube?

I got a qube with windows 10 running but I cannot use USB network etc so I have a dead qube.

Why can’t you use the networking provided by sys-net? Either install QWT or manually configure your TCP/IP settings in the virtual Ethernet interface to match whatever is shown in the qube settings.

and if I install qwt the wine doest open anymore.

Wine? Not sure what you are trying to say/do. Maybe Windows doesn’t open anymore? Wine is a Windows emulation layer on top of Linux and I don’t really see the connection.

and what I also don’t like ist that I have the restrictions to the user qubes.

What do you mean?

so I cannot even install Kali Linux to solve my debian problems.

so that is really anoying!

Hm. Most of your Linux knowledge will be extremely helpful, but you still have to understand what Qubes OS is and how it works. Otherwise you will be annoyed and frustrated. Have you tried the documentation?

I hope I can solve my problems and qubes can be used in my daily live.

I am sure you can. I would recommend opening a separate thread for each of your issues (debian, wireguard, windows 10).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with Debian template and installing Kali

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to install wireguard

yes i tried exactly that. I created the mgmt and everything works fine until the qvm failes to open drive D.

I tried to update ultrafast the xendriver and downloading the qubes windows tool from the ftp but everytime the windows qube doesn’t start anymore.

Yes i want to install simple wireguard to import my keys and run the vpn tunnel exaktly like on the iphone and on my other devices. Bit the problem is i cannot install all other needed packages.

Maybe @GWeck can help with windows related.

what packages ?

It’s a known issue that qwt breaks windows 10. I have a windows 10 HVM that works fine for my needs, everything functions as it should but it isn’t seamless or anything. With Windows 7 it is, as far as I know, possible to install the qwt and run it in seamless mode. Anyways, Kali works just fine on 4.1 and I have my debian repos on debian-testing without any issues. Not sure about your setup, could you send a few more details?

This is exactly what i have seen and what i flound after searching for my problems.

I want to use windows 10 with all my known benefits. But at this point i have to use windows 7 or wait.

Same issue with kali i also read how i already wrote that i am using the wrong qubes. But i also have to say that it would be nice if qubes has asked my by installing it. Do you want stable 4.08 or experimental 4.1.

@51lieal i have problems with the installing of the additional packages for wireguard so i cannot finish instlling it

@ceomi I split your thread into three. This one here is now excursively about Windows 10 and there are two new threads dealing with the other aspects of your original post. We do this to keep the forum clean and helpful to other users reading threads months or years later.

now i tried to install windows 7 ultimate because windows 10 make problems becuase now windows 7 makes the same problems "drive D not formatted.

I gave it another try and reinstalled everything. still not possible windows 7 doesn’t install QWT. Windows was shut down and nothing more is happen. After Starting Windows 7 Qube manually no installation goes on. Also Firefox and notepad … isn’t installed.

Windows 10 makes still the same problems Like i described again. Failed to initialize private.img.

Any ideas?

qvm-features <windows-template> gui 1. It will start without a window, then hit the restart button and the window will appear.

You have to go into Windows Administrative Tools > Computer Management and delete and re-setup the 2GB personal D partition. The default partition doesn’t work. Then install windows tools.

thanks I will try it.

Seems like Windows 11 works fine as well.

sorry, I misread the thread topic, turns out my cpu doesn’t qualify in any event.

but just about to do 2nd install of rc1 on main system :slight_smile:

back in the day, I had some meltdown trying to run windows tools, I fear to try again, despite the security implications, think I’ll stick with my 2 HD, bare metal setup instead of a windows VM for Excel or something

installing windows 10 template
How I can solve this problem ?
chmod =x install.sh && ./install.sh
./install.sh: Permission denied

it +x, not =x

now with 4.1 everything is fine, thanks to the developers!!!

1 Like