Installing Veracrypt For qubes-whonix

After searching and reading several issues regarding installing veracrypt in qubes-whonix I have not come across recent guides to this installation. Since downloading in dom0 is not an option, is the only other way to install in fedora/debian qubes? I am new to installing additional software and my recent install of other applications were in the whonix-16 template.

My question would be, when searching for code to start this installation process, do I look for debian, fedora, or linux code to be compatible with qubes-whonix? On github i believe I only found the debian and fedora code and would like to know the safest way to install veracrypt. thanks!

whonix is debian based. you can download the package in your web qube and then transfer it to the template you want to install it in (clone of whonix-ws likely).

Do yourself a favor and read a bit first:

Hello,

here is a way that worked for me.
Not sure if this way is the moste secure way…I am still a beginner using QubesOs.

Please note that there is an issue for using exfat whith whonix-16 in Qubes 4.0.x

“Debian-11 template for 4.0 does not support mounting exfat volumes”
“Error mounting exfat in debian 11”

Look for the headlines if you need more info.

I do not mess around with a clean templates/cubes , so:

• I will clone whonix-16-ws
  • I will create a new whonix-anon-TEST cube where I can run Veracrypt
  1. Download Veracrypt version from here:

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

Use this version: veracrypt-1.24-Update7-Debian-11-amd64.deb and save it on a USB stick

1. Clone the whonix-16-ws template and name it e.g. whonix-16-ws-TEST, just in case something goes wrong, you can always make a clone again from the original clean whonix-ws installation.

2. Start the whonix-16-ws-Test template, right click, Qubes settings, Application TAB, on the left scroll down until you see “Thunar Filemanager” and add to the right, press apply.

3. Put in the USB stick, add the USB stick to the whonix-ws-16-TEST template

4. From the USB stick, move the Veracrypt install program into the downloadfolder of the whonix-ws-16-TEST template

5. You have to install an extra dependency before you can install Veracrypt

Start terminal in whonix-ws-16-TEST template and type:

sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

1. Install Veracrypt

Go to the downloadfolder inside whonix-ws-16-TEST template

in Terminal type: cd ~/Downloads or right click, if you are already in the download folder chose “open terminal here”

type in terminal: sudo dpkg -i veracrypt-1.24-Update7-Debian-11-amd64.deb

done

You may delete the Veracrypt install program from the whonix-ws-16-TEST template download folder.

Shutdown the whonix-16-ws-TEST template.

1. Create a new qube based on whonix-ws-16-TEST template

Got to Qube manager, Qube, create new qube
    Name: e.g. whonix-anon-TEST
    Type: Qube based on a template (AppVM)
    Template: chose your newly created Whonix-16-ws-TEST template
    Networking: sys-whonix
    press o.k.

2. Start the whonix-anon-TEST qube

right click, Qubes settings, Application TAB, on the left scroll down until you see “Verycrypt” and add to the right, press apply.

Veracrypt is now in the program list.

I guess it is also possible to download Verycrypt from within Fedora and then copy or move it to the whonix-ws-16-TEST template.
Then you will see an incomming folder in the whonix-ws-16-TEST template, so the use of a USB stick is not nesesary. But I havent tried it.

For any experts reading this little “how to” too, please comment and correct me if I did somthing wrong or missed out on something, could be done better etc.
Any comments are welcome !

Hello,

here is a way that worked for me.
Not sure if this way is the most secure way…I am still a beginner using QubesOs.

Please note that there is an issue for using exfat whith whonix-16 in Qubes 4.0.x

“Debian-11 template for 4.0 does not support mounting exfat volumes”
“Error mounting exfat in debian 11”

Look for the headline if you need more info.

I do not mess around with a clean templates/cubes , so:

• I will clone whonix-ws-16
  • I will create a new whonix-anon-TEST cube where I can run Veracrypt
  1. Download Veracrypt version from here:

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

Use this version: veracrypt-1.24-Update7-Debian-11-amd64.deb and save it on a USB stick

1. Clone the whonix-ws-16 template and name it e.g. whonix-16-ws-TEST, just in case something goes wrong, you can always make a clone again from the original clean whonix-ws installation.

2. Start the whonix-ws16-Test template, right click, Qubes settings, Application TAB, on the left scroll down until you see “Thunar Filemanager” and add to the right, press apply.

3. Put in the USB stick, add the USB stick to the whonix-ws-16-TEST template

4. From the USB stick, move the Veracrypt install program into the downloadfolder of the whonix-ws-16-TEST template

5. You have to install an extra dependency before you can install Veracrypt

Start terminal in whonix-ws-16-TEST template and type:

sudo apt install libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

1. Install Veracrypt

Go to the downloadfolder inside whonix-ws-16-TEST template

in Terminal type: cd ~/Downloads or right click, if you are already in the download folder chose “open terminal here”

type in terminal: sudo dpkg -i veracrypt-1.24-Update7-Debian-11-amd64.deb

done

You may delete the Veracrypt install program from the whonix-ws-16-TEST template download folder.

Shutdown the whonix-16-ws-TEST template.

1. Create a new qube based on whonix-ws-16-TEST template

Got to Qube manager, Qube, create new qube
    Name: e.g. whonix-anon-TEST
    Type: Qube based on a template (AppVM)
    Template: chose your newly created Whonix-16-ws-TEST template
    Networking: sys-whonix
    press o.k.

2. Start the whonix-anon-TEST qube

right click, Qubes settings, Application TAB, on the left scroll down until you see “Verycrypt” and add to the right, press apply.

Veracrypt is now in the program list.

I guess it is also possible to download Verycrypt from within Fedora and then copy or move it to the whonix-ws-16-TEST template.

Then you will see an incomming folder in the whonix-ws-16-TEST template, so the use of a USB stick is not nesesary. But I havent tried it.

For any experts reading this little “how to” too, please comment and correct me if I did somthing wrong or missed out on something, could be done better etc.
Any comments are welcome !

@stonethegerlad

I recently installed VeraCrypt in a Debian templateVM.

In an AppVM, I downloaded the .deb installer from the VeraCrypt site, verified the checksum and copied it to the templateVM using right click “Copy to VM”.

In the templateVM, I opened a terminal and entered:

cd ~/QubesIncoming/<AppVM>

(replace <AppVM> with the name of the VM that downloaded the file)

Then I used:

ls

to list the files in the directory.

To install the package, I used:

sudo dpkg -i <installer.deb>

(replace <installer.deb> with the name of the actual file)

The package installed but had missing dependencies.

So I entered :

sudo apt install -f 

…which installed the necessary dependencies.

Now every VM I create using that template has VeraCrypt installed.

No need to use a USB drive to transfer files. You can copy files between VMs from within the file manager. right click → copy to VM. It’s easier and more secure.