Install QUBES on NVMe ! (P15 gen2 - i7.11850 + 4x 32G RAM + 1x 512G NVMe + 2x 2TB NVMe)

qubes weekly iso from qubes dev.

2 Likes

oh ! so itā€™s an official Qubes source ?!
TY, I didnā€™t know :slight_smile:
Will DLā€™ it and give it a try right away

1 Like

not official but trusted, give it a try.

2 Likes

Same thing (failed):
dracut-initqueue timeout
Enter for maintenance, Ctrl-D to continue

1 Like

attach unused flashdrive, then try to reboot, then copy the log to your flashdrive, upload to some tmpfiles web, then upload, share it here.

2 Likes

Side question:
Since NVMe (SSD) are life limited (actually or ā€œon purposeā€ ?) I guess I should ā€œsacrificeā€ the cheapest of the three for all RW intensive, like /swap, /tmp, /var ā€¦ how does that work with Qubes, as it would totally deafeat the security purpose. Will I be able to get a separate /var /tmp etc ā€¦ while still within LVM encrypted ?

1 Like

Based on my very limited knowledge:
The log file is generated during install tentative
Thatā€™s when I have access to said file, and also when I donā€™t have access to any drive.
If I unplug the USB with install.iso to plug an empty one, I will no longer have access to install system, therefore no longer access to log nor any way to write it ?

1 Like

I dont understand what you mean, but separating /var /tmp /swap or etc is possible.

plug your unused flashdrive during boot up.

2 Likes

Iā€™M not questionning th epossibility to do so :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve been using separate partitions for /swap and /tmp for decades, on all my OS including windows.
My question (side one = not exactly related to the thread main subject) is about the NVMe limited life, and the use of heavy RW folder/partition such as /tmp; /var and of course Swap.
As my 2x 2TB NVMe are more expensive than the smaller 512G one, I would rather use the later as ā€œsacrificialā€ and move all swap; tmp; etc ā€¦ to it.
But while it has not problem with Win10 (being m ā€œdecoy OSā€), it will have a major security issue with Qubes, and therefore Iā€™m here asking the community what they think of the use of swap and tmp on NVMe

1 Like

Back o it.
As I moved the Win10 partition Iā€™ve been struggling in fixing the boot. Now done.
Now back o Qubes install ā€¦

1 Like

@51lieal
OK, Iā€™m back to the last line of the install log,
where I have choice:
Press enter for maintenance, or Ctrl-D to continue

Pressing enter leads to a ā€œsh-5.0#ā€ prompt
And no cmd works, no LS, no CD, no Nano, ā€¦ nothing

I donā€™t see how I can mv (or cp) a file that I canā€™t even access :sob:

1 Like

No matter how long I wait, the prompt never comes back to anything usable (user or root prompt)

As Iā€™ve been able to install and reinstall Win10; Suse Leap 15.4; Debian 11 and Fedora 37, there is clearly something wrong with Qubes installer, but I canā€™t extract the log :frowning: (only the picture I provided)

1 Like

you can use cat to redirect, and less to see the content.

1 Like

Thank you @51lieal ,
But I donā€™t think you understand:
There is no command available at ā€œsh-5.0#ā€ prompt
Since there is no LS, that means I canā€™t CAT nor Less
The installer crashes even before loading the graphical installer, so I donā€™t even have access to ctrl-f2

Giving it another try, using again the menu option: ā€œTroubleshooting, Verbose and installā€

And then echo dozains of lines about dracut-initqueue timeout, until giving me the ctrl-D choice
If I enter ā€œenterā€ I end up with ā€œsh-5.0#ā€ prompt which doesnā€™t give me any CMD possibility

1 Like

I understand that you are entering dracut shell before you enter anaconda. Lets go to pm first and let me look.

1 Like

Iā€™m not ā€œenteringā€ (as in ā€œvoluntary actionā€) the shell, Iā€™M just plugging-in the SD card with Qubes install (DLā€™d from the latest monthly update) and let it run ā€¦
We can see that the installer mounted the SD card in sda1,
But it seems the Qubes installer is unable to map none of the 3 NVMe ā€¦ while Debian.11 and Fedora.37 are totally fine with mapping it, therefore someā€™ wrong in the Qubes installer
PMā€™d you :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I can do though, is to run again the Fedora.37 installer and capture the log
Or any previous version (to match the one used in Qubes)
If that helps ?

1 Like

As I was messing (actually!) around with my other laptop, the T440p, and crashed the partition table ā€¦ Iā€™ve had to rebuild it, and while at it, I decided to move back from Dynamic USB disk to internal static disk, and move from MBR to GPT all together.
At some point, as it didnā€™t work, I decided to install SUSE to use its grub2 to make it for the windows boot partition missing.
Bu I took the wrong SD card and went on installing QUBES.
As it turn out ā€¦ QUBES 4.1.1 doesnā€™t install on my T440p (2,5 SSD, not NVMe) neither !!
So now Iā€™m going to try with older version of QUBES

1 Like

Qubes 4.0.4 doesnā€™t install either

the common link is me DLā€™ing on my windows session, and using Rufus to transfer it to SD card. Cold it be Rufus EFI problem ?

1 Like

You can verify before installing, but if it fails in two laptops, it sounds like there is an issue with the installation medium.

1 Like