I want to create proton vpn Qube

Make the file name shorter, change it to e.g. wg-jp-100002.conf
https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/i74nv5/unable_to_import_tunnel_invalid_name/

It’s for debian template. For fedora template it’d be:

sudo dnf install NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome
2 Likes

Yes i remember i had an error like that!

1 Like

Thank you both for helping me solve my problem. After renaming the file to 1.conf, it failed several times for some reason, but after that, I got a code like nmcli connection import type wireguard file 1.conf Connection successfully added.. A padlock mark like the one below will also appear. This time with a P mark! ! Does this mean that the VPN connection was successful? Are VPN connections similarly affected for other VMs?

Yes it is if you have netvm as sys-vpn in settings of your VMs :slight_smile:

Thank you Tezeria!
When setting netVM to sys-vpn on other VMs, an error may or may not occur. Annon: An error occurs with whonix, but not with Fedra. When you connect to the Internet with a VM that did not have an error, a padlock mark will appear as shown in the image below. You can also connect to the Internet. In this situation, if you change NetVM of Annon whonix to sys-vpn, no error will occur. However, when I start the VM and try to connect to the Internet, it says that there is not enough memory. If I close all windows and combine them into one, I can start it up and connect to the internet, but it’s very slow. In some cases, the page may load forever and not lead to search results, or may not connect to the internet at all. Are these normal reactions? It’s very complicated and confusing. Also, this article about openVPN(openvpn - How can I use a .ovpn file with Network Manager? - Ask Ubuntu)
says to use network-manager, but how do I get to this screen? How can I use Network Manager? I can’t find any icons.
network-manager

How many memory have you got in your laptop? perhaps you don’t have enough in your laptop…

The Tor network will still be slower than with a “classic” connection and if you use a VPN, it will be even slower.

I don’t understand why you change the set up sys-vpn. If it works with other AppVMs, then no need to tweak it.
I don’t use tor with vpn but you can take a look in this tread:

In your case, you’re using wireguard and NOT openvpn…

Thank you very much for all the advice. WireGuard connections are extremely unstable and often won’t connect in the first place, so I also tried OpenVPN. I should have said that a little more clearly. And for that purpose, this article (openvpn - How can I use a .ovpn file with Network Manager? - Ask Ubuntu ) mentioned opening the Network-manager screen. I checked my laptop’s memory and it was plenty. However, I feel that running multiple VMs at the same time will make it a bit slow. It seems that the VPN is not the only cause, so I will try to deal with it accordingly.

Wireguard connections are stable…
For using tor with a vpn, take a look on the new post of this topic:

1 Like

thank you. I’ll try it some more.

Have any of you tried the VPN installs from either snap or flatpak?

sorry to reply late. I tried the app from the official website, but an error occurred and I couldn’t use it. I have never installed it on flathub. I don’t even know how to do it.

For me, using Wirguard is much more convenient due to the fact that it allows you to run the VPN without a third-party app. That’s my opinion…
@phirip Have you tried Wireguard? Did it work? :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I looked at it more closely. The installers, Flatpak, Snap used the OpenVPN rather than Wireguard. I was looking at several VPN’s with these installer systems. I think they were all OpenVPN, which to some is not as secure, useful as Wireguard. (I dunno. I am not an expert in networking, just what I read.)

Cheers

OpenVPN is as secure as WireGuard, both need to be configured properly though.

My guess is that flatpak comes with limitations, creating a VPN requires having access to network interfaces outside the sandbox, I’m surprised it’s possible at all to have OpenVPN.

Why did you say that? I use openvpn with riseup (they don’t have wireguard configuration) And it works wonderfully in using with network-manager.

I meant, I’m surprised it’s possible to package VPN App using flatpak due to the sandboxing :slight_smile:

Oh ok! i didn’t understand sorry (i never use flatplak…) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for caring. Actually, it’s subtle. Sometimes I can connect to the internet using WireguardVPN, and other times it just keeps loading. This is especially noticeable with AnonWhonix, and an error may occur when trying to set up VPNQube on Net Qube. I was able to use whonix without any problems yesterday, but today I can’t seem to access the internet. By the way, I tried changing the country of the VPN, but there was no change.

It could be a problem with MTU setting.
Try to add this rule in your VPN qube:

sudo nft add rule ip qubes custom-forward tcp flags & (syn|rst) == syn counter tcp option maxseg size set rt mtu 
2 Likes

Thank you. I tried to add this rule.But I got error code bash: syntax error near unexpected token =='`.