I can't connect to VPN (Riseup, openvpn)

I tried to connect to RiseUp a few days ago on an AppVM. When I try it in a template it seems like it tries to connect, but can’t, and keeps restarting. When I try it in an AppVM I get the following error:

bitmask-root: ERROR: Could not run ['/sbin/iptables/', '-t', 'nat', '--flush', 'PR-QBS']: None 
Error starting VPN: exit status 1

And from there the software is deleted after turning off the cube, I suppose it is because it is a volatile root. Regarding OpenVPN, something similar happened to me, it never connected, I don’t remember exactly what it said, but it did try to connect. And when I tried riseup on a templateVM, the riseup software was not removed after reboot, however when I tried to connect it said something like “AUTH, … RECONNECT”. Then I read in the QubesOS documentation that it said that templates worked differently with network. From there I tried RiseUp on a standaloneVM (fully persistent), I kept getting the iptables problem seen previously. I have tried several things, and I even made sure to add the network-manager, but the VPN connection never appeared in the window. I am currently using VPN addons from Mozilla, luckily there are several that claim to be no-log and do not require personal data or registration. Even so, it is quite problematic since I need a VPN to be able to install virtual machines, update packages in the software, etc.

Until the application is changed to use nftables instead of iptables for Qubes 4.2, you won’t be able to use it. If you can download an OpenVPN config, you can do that in the meantime.

1 Like

Hmmm, when I try to login to the terminal, after copying and pasting the password, it doesn’t tell me anything and doesn’t load anything, this was the command I used:

openvpn3 session-start --config (profile file)

And as far as the network-manager is concerned, I don’t get the option to add the profile file. I don’t get anything either, just an empty box.

I would also like to know if there is an alternative to openvpn.

Make sure you have both network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome installed in the template.

I tried it and it works for me within the template, but when I try to use it as NetVM in other AppVMs, it is extremely slow.

I solved it, it works for me with proton vpn