I’m trying to create a Mullvad setup that is similar to Whonix. This would consist of:
- A sys-mullvad qube that acts as a VPN gateway
- A mullvad qube that uses the Mullvad browser.
I know, it’s not supported, since the Mullvad browser isn’t supposed to be your default browser, but I’ld like to do it anyways .
I managed to setup the sys-mullvad qube via qubes-tunnel. But I struggle with the creation of a fully featured VM that utilizes the Mullvad browser.
What I already have accomplished:
- I managed to set the browser as my default browser by adding the Mime types of Firefox its desktop file
** echo ‘MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;’ >> “./mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser.desktop”
- I manged to get the browser to open URLs within the AppVM by adding the %u parameter to the Exec= command within the start-mullvad-browser script, which will trickle down to the .desktop file once you run start-mullvad-browser.desktop --register-app
** sed -i ‘/Exec=/ s/–detach/& %u/’ “./mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser”
- I managed to open the Browser via the .desktop file in a DVM by monitoring the mullvadbrowser process in the start-mullvad-browser script
** sed -i ‘0,/disown “$!”/ s//& & while pgrep mullvadbrowser > /dev/null; do sleep 1; done/’ “./mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser”
** An alternative solution would be to remove the --detach option from the .desktop file, as mentioned here: Running new mulvad browser in disposable - #2 by szz9pza
So everything works fine within the VMs itself. But when I try to open a link from another qube via qvm-open-in-vm mullvad https://qubes-os.org, the browser won’t open.
The command works great with my Whonix and Online VM, but I can’t get it to work with my mullvad VM.
I must miss something basic, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time and help!