Is it possible to install mullvad browser?

Please tell me how to install mullvad browser on debian template. Whenever I want to use it, I always copy it from another VM, but it’s a pain.

Ideally it should be installed and updated in template in the same way it’s done for Tor Browser in whonix-workstation template.
But it’s not implemented currently.

Right now you can unpack it in /opt in template, copy .desktop fine to /usr/share/applications and change the paths in it.

1 Like

could you please tell me how to do it?

I don’t use mullvad browser so I can’t help with that.
Maybe something like this:

Download the Mullvad Browser first. And follow the instructions.

Option 2: Using the Desktop (GNOME)

This does not work on all Linux distributions and desktop environments.

To decompress the file (replace XX.X.X with the downloaded version number):

1. Open the Downloads folder.
  2. Right click on mullvad-browser-linux64-X.X.X_ALL.tar.xz.
  3. Click on Extract Here (Ubuntu) or Extract (Fedora).

Start the Mullvad Browser:

1. Open the Downloads folder.
  2. Open the extracted mullvad-browser-linux64-X.X.X_ALL folder.
  3. Open the mullvad-browser folder.
  4. Open the Browser folder.
  5. Right-click on start-mullvad-browser.
  6. Click on Run as a Program.

On the 6th step, I instead used my terminal ./start-mullvad-browser. Once I verified that started up the mullvad browser, I also applied ./start-mullvad-browser --register-app.

EDIT2: Also, if you want to be able to run Mullvad Browser in a disposableVM, change the ~/.local/share/applications/start-mullvad-browser file:

Exec=/home/user/Applications/mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser

Change the /home/user/Applications part to wherever you’ve extracted the mullvad browser files.

This guide will work for AppVM, but OP wants to install it in TemplateVM.

Mullvad recently created both Fedora and Debian repositories for their vpn app (see their blog post). However, I don’t believe they included their browser. Perhaps they would add the browser if enough people asked for it, which would make installation in a Qubes template far easier.

1 Like

That would be nice. Librewolf has their debian repo. Mullvad Browser, and even Tor Browser should have one.

I think Mullvad Browser is built on the same kind of build environment as Tor Browser. So unless they add a way to build .deb and .rpm packages in the build process, it won’t happen anytime soon.

1 Like

Shame, as Mullvad Browser, imho, is the best firefox fork, even better than LibreWolf (again, imho).