How to install printer?

Dear friends,

I created a PrintFedoraVM based on template FedoraVM, connected the printer to PC by USB, attached the printer in sys-usbVM to the PrintFedoraVM, downloaded the Linux-64bits driver from printer manufacturer, installed the driver by using PrintFedoraVM terminal and following the CLI that I saw on internet, but the terminal said many things that I do not understand, and the installation did not work.

Then, I put the printer and PC via ethernet on the same router and same network, trying to set up a network printer. I used PrintFedoraVM terminal to enter the CLI that I saw in Qubes documentation: sudo dnf install system-config-printer, and then system-config-printer. A dialog opened, saying Print service is not available, but when I clicked on Start, nothing happened. Then I enter localhost:631 or the IP address of the printer in “Find” box, and clicked Connect, another dialog appeared and said error about CUPS.

I would be grateful if someone can help me. I have never done Linux. Thank you.

There’s so many scenario how to share a printer in different network, i don’t know why you said

PrintFedoraVM and sys-usbVM is sure have different network.

Since you never have it done in linux, try install driver in sys-usb then print it there, after that, learn how networking works in qubes os.

I installed the printer in PrintFedoraVM, which was based on template FedoraVM because I do not want a future compromised printer to infect a template VM.

I followed the instruction in the document with these CLI: sudo dnf install system-config-printer , and then system-config-printer . A dialog opened, saying Print service is not available, but when I clicked on Start, nothing happened. Then I enter localhost:631 or the IP address of the printer in “Find” box, and clicked Connect, another dialog appeared and said error about CUPS.

1 Like

In order to configure the printer as a network printer, the printer and the PC must be in the same network, therefore on the same router.

I would be grateful if you can explain how to install the driver in sys-usb. Thank you.

Dear 51Lieal,

I cannot install the printer in sys-usb because sys-usb does not have network, so I cannot download the driver into sys-usb.

You can download the driver in any VM then Copy/Move the driver to sys-usb, got it ?
Focus on installing driver then printing first, don’t bother to set networking, etc…

Hi 51Ilieal,

I downloaded the driver into PrintFedoraVM, but when I tried to copy it to sys-usbVM by doing Ctrl+Shift+c in PrintFedoraVM, and then Ctrl+Shift+v and then Ctrl+v in sys-usbVM, it did not work.

on PrintFedoraVM, did you do it like this?
ctrl+C → ctrl+shift+C

See also: Stuck on Printer Config Step and HELP PLS! Installing Printer from Documentation.

I never did successfully install it though lol

Well im sorry to hear that… I use to have my printer on the router and it worked perfectly in qubes, but that router died and this new one doesnt have printer connect, no big deal, I will connect to qubes usb… UHOH dead. I do not have a sys-usb qube, I just use the dom0 usb manager in the task bar… I installed the driver in the Fedora 36 Template and I am able to see it in my other vm’s but Its not making the connection… I do not see it in the list of qubes usb devices from the task bar. I run system-config-printer and i get a bunch of stuff in the terminal window…
File “/usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gi/_ossighelper.py”, line 237, in register_sigint_fallback
signal.default_int_handler(signal.SIGINT, None)
KeyboardInterrupt
and then my printer server window with the printer in it goes away when I ctrl-c… I think the problem is that dom0 doesn’t acknowledge the printer is connected… Anybody know of some fancy terminal magic to make dom0 “see” the connected usb printer? Thanks!

Dom0 sudo qvm-usb shows nothing even though I have stuff showing up qubes devices icon… USB works but just not for the printer for some reason

The server option says I can connect to localhost or /run/cups/cups.sock but neither seem to work, in the printer window crtl-p says waiting for printer to become available. Ive been trying to get this to work for a few hours now can I say the “F” word on here?

You need sys-usb to attach such devices to qubes.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.

When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.

Yes! that is correct thanks! I finally learned that “block” devices are ONLY storage devices and if anybody wants anything OTHER THAN a storage drive then the sys-usb qube is REQUIRED. Must have 2 or more USB controllers to dedicate the OTHER USB CONTROLLERS (not keyboard) to the sys-usb… I think entering the authorization information in the GRUB is a bad idea. I got locked out with no keyboard and I reserved the keyboard address and I was locked out and my computer life flashed before my eyes. I had to look up info on my phone where I found the GRUB command start with nothing, and I had to erase the authorization for the keyboard reservation and then I was back up… Now I have to erase the keyboard authorization every time on startup LOL. I edited the GRUB file using the sudo nano, but somehow that reservation came back from the dead. oh well, at least everything works and nobody but me can boot into qubes without first erasing the reservation line… LOL

$ sudo nano /etc/default/grub
[update, add if needed]

[save and exit nano]
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

reboot

Nice thanks! So I do the sudo nano because the grub2 doesnt work on my computer, just says there’s nothing there (for grub2)… When I look at the grub file, I do not see the line for reserving the keyboard, but when the computer starts presto! its there :crazy_face: LOL… Thank you

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2240_us_eu&os=127&dlid=dlf005878_000&flang=4&type3=560
Tried everything. USB printer. Installed as on the Brother website all three, installer, cupswrapper and lpr.
In Fedora template, in sys-usb and in an appvm. Doesn’t work. system-config-printer gives deprecated warnings and it seems Qubes only knows network-printers. Help! No printer = no working computer.