How to install printer?

Dear friends,

I created a PrintFedoraVM based on template FedoraVM, connected the printer to PC by USB, attached the printer in sys-usbVM to the PrintFedoraVM, downloaded the Linux-64bits driver from printer manufacturer, installed the driver by using PrintFedoraVM terminal and following the CLI that I saw on internet, but the terminal said many things that I do not understand, and the installation did not work.

Then, I put the printer and PC via ethernet on the same router and same network, trying to set up a network printer. I used PrintFedoraVM terminal to enter the CLI that I saw in Qubes documentation: sudo dnf install system-config-printer, and then system-config-printer. A dialog opened, saying Print service is not available, but when I clicked on Start, nothing happened. Then I enter localhost:631 or the IP address of the printer in “Find” box, and clicked Connect, another dialog appeared and said error about CUPS.

I would be grateful if someone can help me. I have never done Linux. Thank you.

There’s so many scenario how to share a printer in different network, i don’t know why you said

PrintFedoraVM and sys-usbVM is sure have different network.

Since you never have it done in linux, try install driver in sys-usb then print it there, after that, learn how networking works in qubes os.

I installed the printer in PrintFedoraVM, which was based on template FedoraVM because I do not want a future compromised printer to infect a template VM.

I followed the instruction in the document with these CLI: sudo dnf install system-config-printer , and then system-config-printer . A dialog opened, saying Print service is not available, but when I clicked on Start, nothing happened. Then I enter localhost:631 or the IP address of the printer in “Find” box, and clicked Connect, another dialog appeared and said error about CUPS.

In order to configure the printer as a network printer, the printer and the PC must be in the same network, therefore on the same router.

I would be grateful if you can explain how to install the driver in sys-usb. Thank you.

Dear 51Lieal,

I cannot install the printer in sys-usb because sys-usb does not have network, so I cannot download the driver into sys-usb.

You can download the driver in any VM then Copy/Move the driver to sys-usb, got it ?
Focus on installing driver then printing first, don’t bother to set networking, etc…

Hi 51Ilieal,

I downloaded the driver into PrintFedoraVM, but when I tried to copy it to sys-usbVM by doing Ctrl+Shift+c in PrintFedoraVM, and then Ctrl+Shift+v and then Ctrl+v in sys-usbVM, it did not work.

on PrintFedoraVM, did you do it like this?
ctrl+Cctrl+shift+C

See also: Stuck on Printer Config Step and HELP PLS! Installing Printer from Documentation.

I never did successfully install it though lol