Stuck on Printer Config Step

Hello,

I’m following the instructions in the docs. I’ve cloned my template specifically for printing. I’ve created a disposable VM based on that printing template I created. Then I downloaded the printer drivers from the printer manufacturer (Brother). I installed the printer drivers in the printer template. The next step says to configure the printer. So I typed in system-config-printer. I found my printer from the network, selected it, and the tool asks me to select a driver. Except the driver that I installed isn’t showing anywhere. I’m not sure what to do. There was a thread where someone had the same/similar problem but they never got an answer to their question. So I’m kinda lost… hoping someone might know what to do.

There is an option to ‘Provide PPD file’, which you could try looking for on the manufacturer’s website.
If that doesn’t work, the Print Settings may automatically find a driver that will still work, even if it isn’t for the exact same model. Have you tried doing that?

Ok, I couldn’t find a PPD file but the manufacturer had a CUPS(?) thing which apparently, I had to also install in addition to the LPR(?) driver. The driver is now being automatically selected. But, when I try to print the test page, it says the printer isn’t connected. Except it was able to find it when I gave it the local IP address. Not sure how to troubleshoot that. Any suggestions?

i know this is not safe but have you try to do this on appvm based on that templatevm and attach your network card to it (hvm) (or run it in sys-net (not recommend))

So, it’s through a disposable qube that I’m trying to print from. So are you saying to change the network setting to sys-net in the disposable qube? Right now I have it on sys-firewall.

no, i think what will happen if you connect the printing vm directly to your network (card)

Oh, like use a network cable? But the printer is on the WiFi network. Sorry if I’m not understanding, this is still very new to me even though I’ve learned a lot the past week.

ok, you are using wifi so
attach your wifi card to a vm that in hvm mode (not related to hardware)
then config that vm to what have sad above by other user
then try to print, it might not secure but does it work ?

I think I get what you guys are saying… so under Qube Settings for my printer template, change “Networking” to sys-firewall?

@Sven have you have other method to make printing work?
it too difficult to describe my method

@AC5583, please answer a few questions:

I’ve created a disposable VM based on that printing template I created.

Please describe in detail how you did that.

Then I downloaded the printer drivers from the printer manufacturer (Brother). I installed the printer drivers in the printer template.

How exactly did you do that (the steps, commands used)?

The next step says to configure the printer. So I typed in system-config-printer.

In the template, the disposable template or a disposable instance?

I found my printer from the network, selected it,

So probably not the template as it has no network. You did that in the AppVM that is the template for the disposable or in the disposable itself?

and the tool asks me to select a driver. Except the driver that I installed isn’t showing anywhere. I’m not sure what to do.

This might be explained by how you did the above, it’s sequence or in which qube you did it. Bottom-line: please provide a step-by-step rundown of your actions so we can understand and point out where things might have gone wrong.

Ok, so this is what I did:

1. I opened up the Qube settings for my Template: fedora-33.
  2. I clicked on the “Clone qube” button. I chose “print-fedora-33” as my new template name.
  3. I opened up Firefox in my internet browsing qube and went to Downloads | DCP-L2520DW | Canada | Brother
  4. I downloaded the LPR printer driver and the CUPS one.
  5. I copied the two drivers into the printer template. Then I moved those drivers in the printer template into the “Downloads” folder in the printer template.
  6. I opened up terminal in the pinter template and typed:
cd Downloads

sudo dnf install [the driver name]

to install both of the drivers.
7. Then I opened terminal in dom0 and typed:

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create --template print-fedora-33 --label red print-disposable-template
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-prefs print-disposable-template template_for_dispvms True
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-features print-disposable-template appmenus-dispvm 1
  1. Then I opened Qube settings for the print disposable. I changed “Networking” to sys-firewall. I went to “Applications” tab and added “Print Settings”. I went to “Services” tab and added “cups”.

2. I opened “Print Settings” for the disposable qube.

3. I clicked on “+ Add” button. I opened up the “Network Printer” item. Then selected “Find Network Printer.” In the “Host” box, I typed in 192.168.0.13. The correct printer driver showed up. I selected it and clicked “Forward.” It then asks me to add printer names and descriptions, etc. I fill those out and clicked “Apply.”

4. It then asks me if I would like to print a test page. I click “Print Test Page”.

5. Under “Printer State”, it says "Processing - Unable to locate printer “printermodelinfo”.

6. Printer does not print anything out.

That’s it!

Hello @AC5583,

I’ve also struggled with a Brother wireless printer (and dispvm).

The best approach might be to understand what the Brother Driver
Install Tool does.

I never did, but until you get better advice, here’s what I’d suggest.

Note: The Brother printer was a different model, the templates used were older, and there are security implications to this approach.

1. Clone new printer template
  2. Transfer Brother Driver Install Tool into printer template
  3. Open a terminal in printer template
  • Modify ~/.wgetrc to include 127.0.0.1:8082 proxy settings (here be dragons!)
  • gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz
  • sudo su
  • bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* <Brother machine name>

If all goes well, you’ll eventually specify the Device URI and IP address. Test Print probably won’t work at this point so don’t worry about it. Just make sure the IP address entered was correct or rerun the installer to correct it.

If all didn't go well... <expand>
  • Observe the failed installer
  • Install missing dependancies and/or check proxy settings
  • Rerun linux-brprinter-installer*
  • Observe the installer’s failed download attempts
  • Transfer required files into printer template
  • Try linux-brprinter-installer* again

In case its useful on fedora-30 my dependancies inlcuded:
policycoreutils-python-utils glibc.i686 libstdc++.i686
on centos-8 dependancies inlcuded:
policycoreutils-python-utils cups-lpd system-config-printer-libs glibc.i686 libstdc++.i686

Shutdown the printer template, and for ease of testing, I’d suggest starting with an appvm instead of a dispvm. Once you have a working printer appvm based on the printer template, troubleshoting any dispvm specific problems may be easier.