How to convert raw to iso without copying to dom0?

I want to convert raw to iso without using a command involving dom0 since dom0 doesn’t have enough space. I can launch the iso from a different VM other than domo and I am able to use qemu-img but don’t know what to do.

Raw what?

I have a VirtualBox file. I am trying to convert it to raw and then to iso. I can convert it to raw without relying on dom0 but need dom0 to convert to iso, but dom0 is full.

Why do you need to convert it to raw? According to the following guide raw is the format you need: Converting VirtualBox VMs to Qubes HVMs.

I end up not having enough space within dom0 so I want to convert it to iso outside dom0 so I can run it as an iso startup. Not having enough space within dom0 is a problem.

Rereading this, it’s completely unclear to me why you think you need
to rely on dom0
What makes you say this?
Why dont you convert to iso in the qube where you have already
converted to raw?

The instructions posted by deeplow include copying files to dom0. I am trying to avoid that.

i don’t think I need to rely on dom0. I need to know the command or program to use to order to convert to the iso from the raw file or ova file outside of dom0

I have an .ova file and want to convert it to iso while bypassing dom0. The instructions involve dom0. There may be an easy way but i don’t know it…

1 Like

I think you have not read those instructions properly. There is nothing
there about converting to iso, and therefore nothing to make you think
you need to do this in dom0.

Many problems that people have in Qubes are actually not Qubes specific.
This is one of those.
You can find guides online to creating an iso from a raw image. There is
nothing Qubes related here. Then again, I am not convinced that this is
what you really want to do.
Nor is it clear to me how you plan on using any such file if you are so
short of space.

i’m short on space in dom0.

i have plenty of other space

is there a way to increase the size of dom0?

I read the instructions

they say

" Copy the root image file from the originating qube (here called untrusted ) to a temporary location in dom0, typing this in a dom0 terminal:

qvm-run --pass-io untrusted 'cat "/media/user/externalhd/win10.raw"' > /home/user/win10-root.img

They instruct me to copy everything to dom0. There’s not enough space in dom0. I have big drive, but dom0 has no space. The only solution is to reinstall everything to get dom0 to increase in size. I don’t want do this.

I can’t convert to img outside of dom0. I don’t think I can run ova or img as a startup bootable CD or iso. I can run an iso. That’s what I am trying to do.

i am trying to do this in Qubes making it Qubes specific. If i were in windows i would knows how to do it. There may be qubes specific commands or problems which is why i post here.

the instructions dont help

I repeat -
I think you have not read those instructions properly. There is nothing
there about converting to iso, and therefore nothing to make you think
you need to do this in dom0.

Those instructions show you how to convert the vmdk to a raw image, then
copy the raw image to dom0, so that you can use it as the basis for a
new root image for the HVM.
There is nothing about converting to an iso.

There is nothing Qubes specific here.

What you say you want to do is produce an iso from the vmdk.
If you know how to do this in Windows, why do you not install a Windows
HVM with adequate space, and do it there?
Or, look at the online guides, and run it in an adequately sized Linux qube or
standalone?

This question was never really adressed and I totally understand what OP meant. The guide let you know how to convert a vmdk to raw to then use the raw to create a new qube out of it. I totally understand the approach, but as OP I have two problems:

1. I do not like the idea to copy 50GB (the space of my existing vbox image) to dom0 and
  2. dom0 has not enough space to store the raw image anyway

Thus, the question arises: Is there a way to convert an existing vbox image into a qube other than described in the docu? Can I use other storage or something like that?

The question was addressed exactly as OP asked.

Your case is different, since you are not trying to create an iso.

Let’s set an example:
If you have vbox.raw in /home/user on qube1
Create a standalone as normal, say stand1
Set the root size to 55G

cd /dev/qubes_dom0 and identify vm-stand1-root - ls -l will show the
actual device - let’s say it is /dev/dm-100

qvm-run -p qube1 'cat /home/user/vbox.raw' > /dev/dm-100

This will work fine if your VboxImage uses a single disk.

1 Like

Thanks a trillion, this should do the trick for me.

Maybe you are right regarding OPs question, it just felt like nitpicking to me when it seemed clear to me, what they wanted to achieve in the first place. But anyways, thanks a lot for the solution to my problem :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just been trying unman’s trick listed above as I’m trying to recreate a HVM from a raw file. Unless your dom0 user account is a member of the “disk” group you don’t get any copying to happen. However, copying starts for me but then I get this failure:

qrexec-client[18588]: remote.c:94:handle_remote_data: write: No space left on device

This can’t be true as I’ve got over 100GB free in the pool. Anyoner got any ideas?

Did you resize dom0 at some point earlier?

No, I’ve not resized dom0 at all. I did not think /dev was part of the normal dom0 partition?