How do I open the d0m terminal without access to the top bar?

I lost the top bar in d0m and found a solution: Qubes 4.1 top bar disappeared

But I don’t know how having only qube manager open to get to d0m terminal?

Please help.

You can type “alt+f3” and browse the menu, even make a search

you could also use “alt+f2” to run a command, you can type xfce4-terminal

2 Likes

Right click on your desktop wallpaper > Open Terminal Here.

2 Likes

Indeed,

also, right click on the desktop wallpaper => Applications, and you get the same menu you are missing.

From this menu, you can go in System tools => Panel, and you could add an XFCE panel again to restore the missing one.

The default panels contains:

• applications menu
  • Windows buttons
  • Separator
  • Workspace switcher
  • Clock
  • Pulseaudio plugin (external)
  • Notification area (external)
  • Action Buttons (external)
1 Like

Thank you very much.

When I run * xfce4-panel --restart I get the message:

Failed to restart the panel
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
The name is not activatable

What to do to restore the panel permanently?

Please help.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for running a global/local terminal?

If you delete the panel by mistake, I’m not sure what would be the proper way to fix it without damaging Qubes OS related files.

I suggest you to create a new panel with the same items I listed above.

Otherwise, you could try to delete all the files in ~/.config/xfce4 and then log out / login, this should erase all xfce related settings.

I gave some shortcuts above. If you want a specific shortcut for a command, this can be done in xfce.

I don’t get what you mean by a global or local terminal.

Thank you for your help.

How to create a new panel?

Right click on the desktop wallpaper => Applications => System tools => Panel

Check if you have one panel (this would be weird?) on the top of the window, there is a drop list and some + and - buttons on its left. If you have a panel, check its size and length.

If you don’t have a panel, click on the +, then go in the Items tab, and click on + to add each items of the following list, in the order (the order can be changed with the arrows)

• applications menu
  • Windows buttons
  • Separator
  • Workspace switcher
  • Clock
  • Pulseaudio plugin (external)
  • Notification area (external)
  • Action Buttons (external)

Solene thank you for your reply.
Same message:

Failed to restart the panel
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
The name is not activatable

If you can open the panel settings in xfce4-settings-manager then try changing the Output option.

It’s about the top panel, that bar at the top. The xfce4-settings-manager works, but when I click on ‘Panel’ it pops up the error I gave above.

Did you do something in dom0? Did the system use to work?

Are you running your graphical session using startx?

Dbus should be running, it seems it’s not. What’s the output of sudo systemctl is-active dbus ?

Dbus active

I didn’t do anything, I had this panel hidden and one time it stopped appearing.

I don’t know what is startx. :confused:

@solene Sorry, I’m new to linux in general and thought that the command to open a terminal isn’t related to desktop environment.
I installed KDE and tried to set a new custom shortcut with an action konsole as it was described here: kde - Is there a keyboard shortcut to open a new Konsole tab? - Ask Ubuntu but it didn’t do the trick(obviously), because dom0’s terminal is xfce’s one. So thanks for the command, it does work.
As for the global/local, by local I meant the qube’s terminal I’m currently in. Is that a thing? Can I make somehow a hotkey for a qube’s terminal I’m currently using?

Do you want to open a new terminal in the focused qube when you press a keybind?

Yes, that would be amazing. Or maybe something alike(I’m open to alternatives)

You can use this:

It’s for i3 but it should work for KDE too. You need to copy that script to dom0 and create a new keybind to it (don’t forget to make it executable with chmod +x). When you will press that key, it will execute the script and open a new terminal inside the focused qube.

1 Like

[quote=“solene, post:14, topic:19872, full:true”] Did you do anything in dom0? Did the system boot at all?

Are you starting a graphics session using startx?

Dbus should be running, it looks like it is not. What is the result of the sudo systemctl is-active dbus command? [/quote].

Dbus active

I didn’t do anything unusual, I had this panel hidden ( automatically) and one time it stopped appearing after hovering the mouse.

I don’t know what is startx.