How can I revert back to the previous dom0 kernel?

I upgraded dom0 to kernel-latest to fix a shutdown problem, but now the sound doesn’t work anymore. I have no sound coming out of the laptop! The driver and alsamixer work and I can see that sound is detected, but it’s not coming out the of the speakers.
Now I want to revert back to the previous kernel. kernel-1000:5.15… is already installed. How can I choose that now, instead of kernel-latest?

This links to a section describing how to select a different kernel at boot time:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-install-software-in-dom0/#changing-default-kernel

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
Prior to posting my question on this forum, I had attempted
sudo nano /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg
My system is UEFI. But I got an empty document for xen.cfg. There’s no [global] section at the top, or a default= line.
This leaves me with the Grub2 option.
I guess I should try that option. I would need to modify this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=false

and Add this line:

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

Then run

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

And reboot.
I will backup my computer prior to doing this and see if it will work.

nevermind, sorry

You can also uninstall kernel-latest via dnf in dom0. Just make sure you keep kernel installed.
You can always check via e.g. dnf list | grep kernel what kernels you have installed.

There’s also kernel-510 for the 5.10 LTS line, if you prefer that. If you need to install a specific kernel version, I’m not sure whether there’s an easy way for that.

At boot you can select installed kernels from GRUB as previously mentioned already.

I’ve been losing sound the past few days too. I wasn’t sure why though. I have to switch the output device back and forth a few times until it works, but it’s only good for the open vm or until I put the computer in suspend.