HiPDI in KDE/Plasma

Continuing the discussion from KDE - changing the way you use Qubes:

Hi. I came across Sven’s post above about how to get high DPI settings to work, and I’m having trouble. To summarize, he says three things are needed to get the correct sizes of things with high DPI: 1) no xsettings daemon, 2) the DPI value set correctly in /etc/X11/Xresources, 3) QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1

Can’t find where gsd-xsettingsd is started

In a normal fedora36 template, I can see with ps aux that /usr/libexec/gsd-xsettings is running. But I can’t find a correspending systemd service, nor anything in xinit. From /etc/X11 if I run grep -R setting * I get nothing

dom0 already doesn’t have an xsetting daemon, and doesn’t respect my DPI setting

In dom0, I can see that there is no gsd-xsetting or similar running. I set the correct DPI value in /etc/X11/Xresources and checked that the Global scale setting in Settings->Display and Monitor->Display Configuration (which I guess sets QT_SCALE_FACTOR somewhere?) is set to 1, and reboot. I still get tiny fonts in dom0’s konsole and all of the DE parts

Any ideas what I can try next?

Everything I wrote is about running Qt/KDE apps inside qubes. You are attempting to configure KDE in dom0 … for that please use the respective KDE settings dialog. This should affect all KDE parts including your dom0 terminal.

It will not do anything about the apps inside your qubes. For those you can use what I wrote.

Ah, I see. Thanks. So I can set the “force dpi” option in settings->fonts and get all the bars and window titles and so on in dom0 to be the right size, and then I need to make the appVMs get the dpi settings separately. I think I get it :slight_smile:

1 Like