[HCL] Modern laptop recommendations

HCL’s format hasn’t been updated in the last 10 years. There is no column showing entry registration date, no column for laptop/motherboard production date. With hundreds of entries, its become increasingly difficult to find the “latest” hardware supported by Qubes, as a result, I’m left clueless on which modern options I have.

Help me find a modern laptop supported by QUBES!

Spec category Minimum requirement
:desktop_computer: Display 16+ inch; 2K or 4K; high quality if possible
:computer_disk: SSD (NVMe) 2TB+
:puzzle_piece: RAM 64GB+
:brain: CPU any; the more powerful, the better
:video_game: GPU any / none at all

Possibly something high quality (i.e. lenovo thinkpads)

I appreciate all your suggestions - Thank you!!

Before anybody says “you dont need 64GB ram!” - yes I do, I virtualize A LOT of stuff for work

See also:

My answer:

I’m running a thinkpad P1 gen6 with i9-13900H and 100 (or so) GB of ram right now. It flies like a rocket, but you can make coffee on top of the keyboard :confused:

I have the one with the funky GPU, so if you can get one without it, the heat thingy should be better. I have implemented a small script that automatically qvm-pause’es VMs that are not currently focused in i3wm - that reduces the heat a little bit. Also messing with xenpm disable-turbo-mode helps a bit.

The cooling is pretty horrible, but the performance is excellent. I’m working on qubes os automation software, so I spawn / destroy / setup VMs all the time, which is rather intensive work. For this the performance is excellent.
It is not in the HCL yet but everything works nicely for me, even the stupid touchscreen that nobody needs (good for captchas though).

Thanks this is the specific kind of reply I was looking for. I’ll DM you asking for specific model, I’ll buy it or the closest to it.

@kuhbs what do you mean? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That around the middle of the keyboard, under load, the temperature is 50 to 60 degrees celsius (I used a thermometer to check).

kubhs told me not to buy that one because it heats way too much.

I think I’ll buy one of those 16” frame.work laptops. I see quite some HCL reports showing they have nice compatibility with Qubes

To boost @FranklyFlawless …