model: |
  Laptop
bios: |
cpu: |
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9a14] (rev 01)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:9a49] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |

memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.10.71-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

Remarks

Requires disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS.

Confirmed Working

• Keyboard
  • Trackpad
  • Microphone
  • Microphone kill-switch (still appears in dom0 but doesnt work)
  • Webcam kill-switch (removes device from sys-usb completely)
  • Webcam indicator-light
  • Power-light indicator
  • USB-A expansion ports (data)
  • USB-C expansion ports (power and data)
  • WiFi (USB-connected)
  • 3.55mm (Output)
  • Power button
  • Power button light

Issues

• Wake-from-sleep, can’t wake device from suspend/closed-lid.
  • Trackpad, cant right click.
  • When testing the webcam, it disconnected itself from the AppVM and returned to sys-usb. The indicator light stayed on.

Untested

• Bluetooth
  • Internal WiFi
  • Fingerprint Reader

Attachments

Processing: Qubes-HCL-Framework-Laptop-20211022-054821.yml…

1 Like

Let me know if anybody wants me to test anything. I’d like to support both Framework and Qubes-OS.

Ah, this might be what I’m running into. Would installing some extra key/certs in the bios work around this without having to disable secure boot?

What I’m seeing is that the installer just completely fails to boot - it doesn’t even get to a boot menu. Is that what you saw?

yes, it difficult but it can work

Thank you @artificial for your HCL report, which is now online!

1 Like

Hi Artificial,

Would you be able to test with one of the betas on a thumb drive or equivalent? I’ve been reading that 4.1 is a lot more compatible with the framework laptop.

Also, what brand of USB wifi did you find works, if you don’t mind me asking.

I’m planning on buying a Framework laptop very soon. And, ideally, I want to convert to using Qubes entirely on it. Sadly existing equipment doesn’t support it (Mac, and a desktop with Nvidia card). I’m hoping that I can switch over to one machine as a primary machine, being the Framework laptop, and have things generally work without too much fuss. Webcam/mic luckily don’t impact me. But, wifi definitely does. Right click also worries me some, and I’m hoping things are considerably better with the RC.

Thanks for putting this report together, it’s really helping people like me who are on the edge on buying a Framework as a primary driver.

I also have a Framework (same CPU and RAM amount as OP). I installed R4.1 Beta (last version before RC1, I think) and have kept it up to date since. Hopefully that’s good enough and I don’t need to reinstall to truly get it up to date.

For the trackpad right-click, I’ve had good luck by clicking the bottom-right corner of the trackpad. I’m interested to hear if that works for others.

I can’t comment on the Bluetooth or internal WiFi because I scavenged the WiFI card from my old Asus Zen. WiFi works great, but that probably doesn’t mean anything to others.

Mine can’t wake from sleep either. I closed the lid, let it sit for a few minutes, and then opened it. The power button was pulsing, indicating the machine was in sleep mode. Pressing the button did nothing. I had to hold it down to force the machine off and then press it twice to get the machine back. The first press caused the power button to briefly light up before going dark again.

Interesting… I don’t have a framework laptop but I’ve got the same CPU in my laptop and I also have this resume-from-sleep issue. It might be Resume from suspending is broken after update to Xen 4.14 · Issue #6066 · QubesOS/qubes-issues but I’m not really sure