model: |
  Laptop
bios: |
cpu: |
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9a14] (rev 01)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:9a49] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |

memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.10.71-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

Remarks

Requires disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS.

Confirmed Working

• Keyboard
  • Trackpad
  • Microphone
  • Microphone kill-switch (still appears in dom0 but doesnt work)
  • Webcam kill-switch (removes device from sys-usb completely)
  • Webcam indicator-light
  • Power-light indicator
  • USB-A expansion ports (data)
  • USB-C expansion ports (power and data)
  • WiFi (USB-connected)
  • 3.55mm (Output)
  • Power button
  • Power button light

Issues

• Wake-from-sleep, canā€™t wake device from suspend/closed-lid.
  • Trackpad, cant right click.
  • When testing the webcam, it disconnected itself from the AppVM and returned to sys-usb. The indicator light stayed on.

Untested

• Bluetooth
  • Internal WiFi
  • Fingerprint Reader

Attachments

Processing: Qubes-HCL-Framework-Laptop-20211022-054821.ymlā€¦

5 Likes

Let me know if anybody wants me to test anything. Iā€™d like to support both Framework and Qubes-OS.

Ah, this might be what Iā€™m running into. Would installing some extra key/certs in the bios work around this without having to disable secure boot?

What Iā€™m seeing is that the installer just completely fails to boot - it doesnā€™t even get to a boot menu. Is that what you saw?

yes, it difficult but it can work

Thank you @artificial for your HCL report, which is now online!

2 Likes

Hi Artificial,

Would you be able to test with one of the betas on a thumb drive or equivalent? Iā€™ve been reading that 4.1 is a lot more compatible with the framework laptop.

Also, what brand of USB wifi did you find works, if you donā€™t mind me asking.

Iā€™m planning on buying a Framework laptop very soon. And, ideally, I want to convert to using Qubes entirely on it. Sadly existing equipment doesnā€™t support it (Mac, and a desktop with Nvidia card). Iā€™m hoping that I can switch over to one machine as a primary machine, being the Framework laptop, and have things generally work without too much fuss. Webcam/mic luckily donā€™t impact me. But, wifi definitely does. Right click also worries me some, and Iā€™m hoping things are considerably better with the RC.

Thanks for putting this report together, itā€™s really helping people like me who are on the edge on buying a Framework as a primary driver.

I also have a Framework (same CPU and RAM amount as OP). I installed R4.1 Beta (last version before RC1, I think) and have kept it up to date since. Hopefully thatā€™s good enough and I donā€™t need to reinstall to truly get it up to date.

For the trackpad right-click, Iā€™ve had good luck by clicking the bottom-right corner of the trackpad. Iā€™m interested to hear if that works for others.

I canā€™t comment on the Bluetooth or internal WiFi because I scavenged the WiFI card from my old Asus Zen. WiFi works great, but that probably doesnā€™t mean anything to others.

Mine canā€™t wake from sleep either. I closed the lid, let it sit for a few minutes, and then opened it. The power button was pulsing, indicating the machine was in sleep mode. Pressing the button did nothing. I had to hold it down to force the machine off and then press it twice to get the machine back. The first press caused the power button to briefly light up before going dark again.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦ I donā€™t have a framework laptop but Iā€™ve got the same CPU in my laptop and I also have this resume-from-sleep issue. It might be Resume from suspending is broken after update to Xen 4.14 Ā· Issue #6066 Ā· QubesOS/qubes-issues but Iā€™m not really sure

What usb wifi are you using? Wasnā€™t able to get the internal card recognized.

I just noticed some questions about Secure Boot at the start of this thread. Secure Boot tends to be troublesome, and often requires a lot of custom support. Just about all laptops come pre-installed with a bunch of Microsoft keys. The more liberal manufacturers might include an Ubuntu key.
I consider reliable support for secure boot to be unreliable for Qubes. You can make your own keys and install them in your laptopā€™s secure boot settings, but then youā€™ll have to manually sign Grub every time you update (on a system that wonā€™t boot because if Secure Boot).
We could maybe get Qubes to sign their kernels, but then you would need to sign and install their keys and trust them.
Iā€™m not sure if that would really get us anywhere.

What about getting some HEADS compatability with framework laptops?

My understanding is that HEADS is able to be ported to any system that is able to run Coreboot, and that some systems only require minor changes in the code (descriptors).

From what Iā€™ve read, the limiting factor is something called ā€˜boot guardā€™ that a lot of laptops have after a certain period of time, but I am also recall reading that any coreboot compatible laptop should be able to run HEADS, so perhaps if there is a community will we can get HEADS compatability for framework laptops.

The only issue is someone has to maintain it. Thoughts?

Edit - SORRY, I was thinking of System 76. Iā€™m not sure if Framework runs Coreboot, my apologies.

Framework mentioned theyā€™re working on Coreboot, but I get the impression itā€™s a low priority. If you consider the OS support for Coreboot vs. the OS support for UEFI, Iā€™m not too hopeful.

@Taek
Iā€™m using a WiFi card I salvaged from my broken Librem 13
Atheros QCNFA222
It works well.
Except that I still canā€™t resume from suspend

1 Like

A couple of links for qubes support for Tiger Lake
Resume from suspending is broken after update to Xen 4.14 #6066

1 Like

xen does not support s0ix suspend, which is used by Tiger Lake

1 Like

Has any Framework Laptop user been able to get all the hardware behaving correctly in Qubes? I know that I need a newer kernel than the default that I have (5.10), but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to find a newer version that I can understand how to install on my Qubes system. How have you been able to manage that?

I have been using Qubes on my Framework since early March, probably March 5th or 6th when I started to use it as my primary machine.
My kernel is 5.10.109
Definitely disable secure boot in the BIOS, and then it installed without too much pain.
Restoring my Qubes from backup took a while. Changing to a different WiFi card was necessary.
And I canā€™t resume from suspend.
I think that a newer kernel will improve graphics and suspend, though Iā€™m not sure on this.
Sometimes, I have trouble getting the camera to stay attached to a qube. Sometimes, I end up rebooting before it works. That is a problem I want to investigate.
Sometimes, some of the qubes donā€™t seem to fully start, and I have to kill them and start them up again.

Is there any other hardware which you want to check.

1 Like

I really appreciate your quick response. I am having two other issues that I am curious how you addressed:
1. I have a constant cycling in my sys-USB that says ā€œdevice : is availableā€, and then after some seconds it says ā€œdevice : removedā€. This never stops and there is no name for the device. I saw at least 2 other people on my digging around the Internet who mentioned they had this issue with Framewok and Qubes too. How did you handle that? Or did it not happen to you?
2. The XFCE desktop environment at this resolution is so minuscule that itā€™s almost unusable. Mostly itā€™s the font sizes but I canā€™t seem to change them. Even better would be to get Gnome on here, but I havenā€™t seen anyone succeed at that from my searching. What did you find the best solution for that was?

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I have plans to improve my write-up on using Qubes with framework, but I havenā€™t done it yet. Hope that this description helps a bit.

1. I had something similar with USB device cycling in and out.
    The problem is gone now (except for some issues with the camera).
    Iā€™ll explain what I did, and I am curious whether it is your problem as well.

My sys-usb uses the fedora-34-dvm template. Same with sys-firewall, and sys-net is fedora-34.

My first attempt at a Qubes install on framework tried the debian templates. I believe that this was what caused the USB problems. I suspect that sys-usb doesnā€™t work well with Debian, at least for framework. I chose disposable templates in both cases, just in case it matters.

1. Fonts
    I had been slightly annoyed with this for a while, but hadnā€™t done anything
    I finally noticed something today, after your questions.
    Try this
    System tools => Settings Editor
    change FontName from ā€œSans 10ā€ to ā€œSans 12ā€ or something bigger.
    See attached image.
1 Like

This looks interesting, and I am going to dig into the xsettings as you showed in the image.

I can also report, that I did the same thing you did trying to resolve the USB device cycle issue: I installed everything with Debian Templates as default (because I like Debian and am familiar with it), and then when I had some of these issues, I decided to reinstall using Fedora 34 as the default (because I assumed that the developers might have built the system expecting those as default and maybe that would help). Unfortunately, in my system, that seems not to have fixed the strange USB cycling issue. :frowning:

I suppose that the next thing to do is to try to install the Linux Firmware blobs from the ā€œlinux-firmwareā€ package, and then try to update my kernel if that doesnā€™t work. Sadly, I still donā€™t feel comfortable with how to do the newer kernel process, so I will keep digging. But if anyone knows how to do it, I would be very appreciative!

Perhaps you and I and whomever else is trying this Framework Qubes foray can get some good documentation built to help others to do the same.