[Dom0 Error] qvm-start sys-firewall failed

I AM total noob to qubes. I verified iso, burned on usb, installed (didn’t change anything). VT-d, memory remap, and virtualization on in BIOS. I have recommended system specs.

But I got this [Dom0 Error] during install:
Not even allowed to upload pics what the hell: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3AXfx8A1JMQh3hk76

I can’t even get log for you, as file explorer doesn’t work and gives 2nd error.

I don’t have resolve to solve this on my own, i have severe chronic pain, but i need separate secure environment badly!

Thanks for help!

Check the sys-net settings > devices

The problem is that the PCI device 00:1f.6 isn’t supported, it should either be your wired or wireless network interface.

Removing the device should solve the problem, but it might leave you without network access.

You probably need to figure out what driver or firmware you need to make the device work.

Oh that might be a problem i have on-board nic and no expansion slots. I will look about how install drivers for it on qubes. There are no linux drivers on my mobo tho, this could be a problem!!!

If you have both wired and wireless, maybe you can make one of them work.

I wanted to try: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pci-troubleshooting/

Domain […] has failed to start: internal error: Unable to reset PCI device […]: no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available

But ssd disk upon which I installed Qubes is not detected in BIOS (on 2 computers) today all of the sudden.

Please kill me, please kill me, please kill me, please kill me, please kill me, please kill me, please kill me, please kill me…

I have always most annoying issues when i need them the least, god i hate computers all the time some components are dying, or something is broken…

What are the odds this happens, i have always happen things like this to me when i need them the least…

1 Like

My first thread here was the same.

I think I fixed the problem with pressing the button as noted here:

Rescue sys-net/usb - unable to reset PCI device

1 Like

I consulted chatgpt yet :smiley: I use it only for basic advice what to do next don’t worry…

IT says USB nic are more vulnerable to attacks and can be less secure! I would prefer to us dedicated NIC rather in this case!

But it also says messing with PCI devices can be risky, even damage hardware in some cases.

Again error code, google link doesn’t work anymore sorry!

i have dom0 error. Seems it is my network controller, I found from its BACKEND:DEVID it shows in the dom0 error. Full error message follows: ['usr/bun/qvm-start, 'sys-firewall'] failed: stdout: "" stderr: "start failed: internal error: Unable to reset PCI device "device ID": no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available , see /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log for details "

Great I wanted to pull log tho I dont know how I would get it to you without internet, even files don’t work!

1 Like

Are these commands safe to try? https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pci-troubleshooting/

I really need Qubes working badly!!!

Many issues reported in one post - somewhat confusingly.

I’ll focus on the error code.
Go to the settings for sys-net.
On the Devices tab, use the large button at the bottom - “Configure
strict reset for PCI devices” - select the network controller, “OK”

This actually reduces security I read. Do I want to do that? I will just use browser and go to 1 site… Also what about damage to PCI, i read it can be risky?

I have no idea. I have no knowledge of what your situation is, what
threats you are aiming to secure yourself against, and what
hardware you have available.
You do know these things.

If a device does not support reset operations, then switching to another
qube may carry a risk in that some data may theoretically be passed
from one qube to another.
The ideal situation is where the device can be reset. Otherwise, a
reboot before reallocating the device will do.

I do not understand you.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.

Yeah, I would rather not that do to not compromise security! What if there is virus, and it could compromise my qube…

Secondly I read messing with PCI setting can damage hardware, I would rather not do that! Is running this command safe to do?

I want to do online banking on Qubes installed on isolated disk, since I don’t trust normal windows. I disconnect all disks before physically…

PC:
Hardware Intel i5 9600kf
ASUS Z390-i gaming https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-model/