Currently the fedora-38 template is in practice the gnome one. Specifically, the installed applications are those for gnome variant of Fedora. That kinda makes sense, since GNOME is the default desktop environment in Fedora Workstation. But unfortunately some gnome applications do not fit well in qubes, example related issues:
- Software update with gnome-software in TemplateVM not working · Issue #3815 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
- Nautilus stuck at "loading" in Fedora 37 · Issue #7921 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
- Disable Tracker (the GNOME desktop search provider) by default · Issue #8372 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
- Reduce memory usage of Fedora qubes · Issue #7028 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
- fedora-38 template has gnome-control-center (GNOME Settings) that does not open. · Issue #8393 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
So, we consider switching to the xfce spin. Does anybody have an opinion?
What should be the default Fedora (and possibly Debian) template flavor?
- GNOME (the current one)
- XFCE (templates fedora-38-xfce, debian-12-xfce etc)
To be clear, the question is only about what template should be included on the installation image. Both flavors will remain installable via qvm-template, so if anybody prefer the other one, it will remain possible to install it.