Corrupted Template

More or less

Is there something specific I should be looking for in

/var/log/xen/console/guest-VMNAME.log ?

Could it be something to do with the Qubes X Window system?

Thank you

When I run “top” in the broken Qube console there is no Xorg process; so maybe its not launching properly

Thinking now it might be something within the GUI subsystem

http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/doc/gui/

Interesting, because if you follow them exactly, (and add an extra step
of creating a directory needed for the deb to install at all), then you
end up with a fully functioning Debian standaloneVM.

Yes, it is.
I suggest you follow the Bisq instructions exactly, and see if you
end up with a broken system.
I did, and I didnt.

Allow me to clarify my answer; I followed the set of instructions for installing on debian, not on Qubes

Reading the instructions now for Qubes it looks like the resource requirements are pretty high, more than what’s available so if for some reason its launching a daemon on boot, that might prevent the X window System from loading due to lack of resources.

They are high - but I have it running on a machine with 16GB, and
although it restricts how many other qubes I can open, it is still
workable.
This is one of those cases where you have to make trade offs according
to what you want to do - I can do fairly heavyweight analysis on this
machine, but it does restrict what else I can do at the same time.
Since the Bisq qube isn’t involved in memory management that memory is
lost to the shared pool used by the other qubes, so you will notice the
effect there.
Still workable though.

It will only boot with 1000MiB beyond that the qube will not boot. Would there be a way to uninstall that package?

It interesting; when I try to launch Bisq in the Qube it claims the file is not found, its as though it wasn’t even installed which is even more bizarre.

Is it possible there has been a dom0 compromise?

Is there anythings which prevents you from simply reinstalling the whole template? If all you did to it is installing/removing a package, you can always start from the clean template and do what you need again.

Not really; I would just like to understand what went wrong so that I can avoid making the same mistake in the future. Looking at the documentation, it looks like the GUI subsystem is something which is provided via dom0 and there are some changes coming to how those resources are provisioned.

1 Like

When you remove a package, you typically get the list of packages which are going to be removed in addition. If some of them are named qubes-[something], then you may get in trouble. This is how it went for me a couple of times, but reinstall of the template helped.

I thought initially when it was installed that it must’ve removed some key qubes related dependency but all of the qubes packages are present in the Qube, so my question is if the problem is not actually with the qube itself could it possibly be something with dom0 and the way graphics are provisioned for the qube.

The other part of it is that if dom0 and individual qubes share memory via graphics buffers, that’s potential for a compromise of the dom0

Why would you think so?
The issue seems to be that you have simply not provided the environment
that the Bisq developers tell you to provide.
I have no doubt that your intuition is correct and that because you have
under powered the machine, Bisq is sucking up all the available memory.
Give it adequate resources and you will have a functioning Bisq qube.

I haven’t dug in to the question of installing Bisq in a template.

I’m questioning my initial conclusion because when I attempt to remove the installed app, dpkg claims it is not installed and when I attempt to run the app, it will not launch, that makes me question whether or not it was even installed at all. If the app was not even installed, then there are no resource usage requirements that would prevent it from launching. So it begs the question, why would it fail to launch the Xorg process (if the resource requirements have not changed from the original template)

“when I try to launch Bisq in the Qube it claims the file is not found”

• I doubt that you have /opt/Bisq in your path.

Try starting it with /opt/Bisq/Bisq