Copy files between smartphone and app-vm via USB or LAN/Internet (syncthing)

how you can copy files between smartphone and app-vm

for review and add best set configuration security on Syncthing
I will translate this into Arabic after finishing

Via USB cable

(Preparation steps)

On QubesOS

• from application menu click on creeat qubes vm and choose
    (on Basic tab)
    name: phone-vm
    type: AppVM
    template: fedora-x ''x is fedora vergion has installed on your qubesOS"
    network: none
    [ ] Lanch settings after after creation “check on it”
    and click OK
  • on settings phone-vm choose
    (on Advanced tab)
    [ ] Disposable template “check on it”
    and click OK
  • start from applications menu “disposable: phone-vm” >> “phone-vm (dvm): Files”
  • connect your phone via usb to PC
  • attach your phone to disposableVM has started and brows your phone files “usually you will reattach many times to can see your phone files

copy from phone to appVM’s

• select files you wish to copy, right-click on the files, and select Copy to Other AppVM
    don’t copy from phone to disposableVM because files will delete then disposable shutdown

copy from appVM’s to phone

• Open a file manager in the qube containing the files you wish to copy (the source qube), right-click on the files you wish to copy, and select Copy to Other AppVM ans select disposableVM has attached phone, now you can copy files from disposableVM to phone storage

via LAN/Internet using (Syncthing)

On phone

• install Syncthing on your phone device from your Os store like google-store, apple-store, f-droid-store …

On QubesOS

• from application menu click on create qubes vm and choose
    (on Basic tab)
    name: phone-vm
    type: AppVM
    template: fedora-x ''x is fedora vergion has installed on your qubesOS"
    network: sys-firewall
    [ ] Lanch settings after after creation “check on it”
    and click Ok
  • on settings phone-vm choose
    (on Advanced tab)
    [ ] Disposable template “chek on it”
    and click Ok
  • install Syncthing on phone-vm run this command on fedora-x template terminal
sudo dnf install syncthing
  • after progress finish shutdown fedora-x and restart phone-vm, then you can use Syncthing on phone-vm

can users help me for add steps “how set Local Discovry and Local Firewall” with this Doc

This seems like a guide rather than a question. I would suggest moving this topic to “Community Guides” section.

2 Likes

The title should probably also be renamed into “[…] via LAN/Internet using syncthing”, as file transfer via USB and Bluetooth are also possible and work quite well without having to install snap packages or set up a LAN / send stuff through the internet.

Edit: I changed the title appropriately and recategorized the topic to ‘Community Guides’

3 Likes

I haven’t been able to connect my android devices for data transfer to an appVM’s because of this issue

I have known about syncthing but when I tried it I could not get it to sync over LAN. My WAN upload speed is not very fast. I’m guessing I have to figure out port forwarding to get syncthing to work over LAN.

1 Like

In that issue they say that attaching to sys-usb works, so you can just copy over the files within sys-usb and then qvm-copy to a different VM from there…Bluetooth seems to work sufficiently, though, at least in my case.

As for syncing (not syncthing) over USB you could store your mirror archive in some VM and then attach the private image of that VM to sys-usb to sync the two (using rsync for example).

1 Like

I use it via WAN it’s working but slow, I wish more advanced users help us for set configuration securely with WAN, but via LAN maybe not working now, but I will add steps for LAN connection when advanced users and qubes team fix issue #6330 on github

As it’s already said, I mount phone in a disposable sys-usb, in it’s file manager right click on a file on a phone and choose “Copy to VM”

I have this when connect my phone on sys-net and attach to other qube

Unable to open MTP device "001,005"

this should be done directly in the template, otherwise there is no chance it will persist

why do you need snapd for syncthing? The package is usually named syncthing.

The syncthing service can be enabled at boot for the user with systemctl enable --user syncthing.service, then load http://localhost:8384/ in the syncthing qube with a web browser for the admin interface.

edit: maybe I misunderstood and the guide is supposedly meant to be for one-shot usage of syncthing

1 Like

you are right, thanks @solene

Attaching phone to any other qube is not possible, so it is expected this error to occur. But, it is possible to mount the phone storage in the (preferably) disposable qube which handles correspondent USB controller to which phone is attached to.
After detaching the phone, restarting disposable qube can give reasonable security (but not against controller poisoning)

1 Like

its work directly when reattached to disp-phone-vm thanks @tempmail I don’t need to Syncthing any more

1 Like

thanks for your changes @Bearillo, now you can change title to ’ Copy files between smartphone and app-vm via usb cable ’

That’s not what the OP (original post) is about, though.

Also, can you please incorporate the changes suggested by solene into your OP?

well , we will create two way to that, once via usb cable, and via LAN/Internet using syncthing for guide

Alright, well I’m tracking the topic, so I’ll change the title when it doesn’t reflect the content anymore.

Also @mods can we please turn the OP into a wiki to make editing easier? I thought re-categorizing a topic as “Community Guide” did that automatically, but unfortunately that’s not the case.

1 Like

what’s OP please ?

OP (original post) is the first post in a topic; in the “Community Guides” section the first post is supposed to be a “wiki”, meaning that it can easily be edited by multiple users; since you didn’t post in that section, but the “User Support” section, the post did not get turned into a wiki automatically.

The “User Support” section of this forum is for topics where people can post their Qubes-related issues and ask for help from the community. But your intention, I think, was to create a guide, instead, so I moved the topic to the more appropriate section of the forum. Sadly the forum does not have the functionality to automatically make such moved topics into wikis, however, so I pinged the mods to help us out with that.

1 Like

thanks so mach @Bearillo

Or Opening post too. OP as a noun also means Original/Opening poster.

1 Like