Considering Qubes OS to be Qubes Operating Systems Ecosystem *

L.S.

I know just enough about computer and communications security practices as well as programming and scripting to be dangerous, but not enough to be really professional.

About four-and-a-half years ago, I started using Qubes 3.(X.Y) because I was forced to use Windoze for my proper work and Qubes OS allowed me to run Windoze (7) without compromising my other Linux-based environments. Qubes suited my purposes excellently: Anaconda in an Ubuntu VM, browsers, email clients and other stuff in Debian-based VMs; all interconnected in a “reasonably secure” fashion. In short, a brilliant operating system ecosystem, albeit one with fairly demanding learning curves.

However, my – at that time – reasonably high-spec machine was working its hard drive quite intensively, so I replaced it with a biggish SSD and also managed to transplant my entire Qubes environment onto that SSD, next to a bare metal Debian. Unfortunately, my attempts to upgrade to Qubes 4.(X.Y) failed miserably and I came to the conclusion that my well-used laptop that had worked so well with Qubes 3.(X.Y) was not good enough for Qubes 4.(X.Y) pushing my Qubes 4 plans into the future.

Since then a somewhat low-spec but quite recent laptop has come into my hands, so I thought I would try to install Qubes 4.0 onto it: the installer will not even boot. Having also downloaded the bleeding-edge Qubes 4.1 installation media and without any expectation of success whatsoever I gave it a go and …

• ecosystem | ˈiːkəʊsɪstəm | noun Ecology a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment: the marine ecosystem of the northern Gulf had suffered irreparable damage . • (in general use) a complex network or interconnected system: Silicon Valley’s entrepreneurial ecosystem | the entire ecosystem of film and video production will eventually go digital .