Choosing the Ideal Hardware for Qubes OS Installation

I am considering installing Qubes OS for the first time and purchasing the appropriate hardware for this system. However, I haven’t made a decision yet and I’m still contemplating it. I came across information from a user who reported good performance with a budget motherboard and the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G processor (ASRock B450M Pro4 with AMD Ryzen 5 2400G). I’m wondering whether I should buy this motherboard for Qubes OS installation, but I’m aware that the Ryzen 5 2400G processor is already outdated. What are your thoughts on whether everything would work if I use the ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 5500 processor along with my existing GT 1030 graphics card, or if I opt for the Ryzen 5 5600G processor? I understand that it’s impossible to answer this question without testing, but I’m interested in your insights. If this setup doesn’t work properly, I can always continue using Windows 10. The ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard appeals to me due to its affordability, but I’m hesitant to invest in an outdated processor based on the experience of another user, even though it’s currently available at a low price.

Unless you don’t have any compatible hardware, maybe wait to buy new hardware until you have tried Qubes OS and know if you want to use it in the long run.

I don’t know if that motherboard is compatible with Qubes OS, but I have used the ASUS B450-F with v4.1 so at least the chipset should be compatible.

If you know you are going to daily drive Qubes OS, you might want to spend more on the CPU. The 5600G is more than capable of running Qubes OS, but a CPU with higher single thread performance might make the experience smoother. That said, if you are going for budget build, the 5600G does seem like a good choice.

1 Like