Boot device not recognized after installing, how to fix this through rescue mode

How can we implement this solution here through rescue mode. As it is not possible to access EFI partition

if someone can share the steps for a non technical person

or if it is too difficult, any other way to edit the efi partition as mentioned in the solution in the link aboive

tried the solution form third post in this link by @51lieal

but when trying to enter passphrase the keyboard does not work only key that works is enter in numpad. what could be the reason for that?

1 Like

what’s your keyboard layout ?

keyboard layout is US. on one side normal keys and to right numpad. I checked again and only enter key works and no other keys.

@51lieal I tried to enter the passphrase but key board does not work, then pressed enter the cursor moves to new line and then the pressed keys shows but after just couple of seconds , it is prompted again to enter passphrase but not able to then you press enter, cursor moves to new line and then again after few seconds asked to enter pass phrase. This happens few times and then it shifts to shell command line

maybe try reinstalling qubes os, or perhaps you do special customization on your installation before?

nothing much other than the configuration. just the configuration part. and installed using the i915.force_probe=* command

In UEFI mode, the installer does not have a boot menu, but boots directly into the installation wizard. To get into Rescue mode, you need to switch to tty2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and then execute:

pkill -9 anaconda
anaconda --rescue

tried to run the command above in tty2. Started the qubes os installtion, when the menu appears there is an option to press tab and get the shell. enter the commnds pkill and rescue in the shell. Rescue enviornment was started , asked to enter passphrase but still the keyboard is not working

any other option to access the password protected efi partition? or if rescue option is best

try create fedora live iso / you can also use tails, boot them with uefi mode, and please run efibootmgr -v if there’s no qubes os, then try dig in the forum how to create uefi boot.

installed tails os, typed efibootmgr in terminal but command not found. tried installing with sudo apt install efibootmgr but getting this error

Package ‘efibootmgr’ has not installtion candidate

package efibootmgr is not available, but is referred to by another package

@51lieal how to access efibootmgr in tails os? I am not a technical person, so not much aware of these things. Found out about qubes, seemed to be the best os but getting it installed has been quiet difficult. Still trying to get it working

He specifically said to create Fedola Live and not Tails live, and now you are asking about Tails live, which isn’t Qubes specific at all. It’s not what you want to do, but what you have to do.

They are asking about the advice given.

1 Like

Yes, please apologize for overlooked it somehow. He should try Fedora live too, nevertheless.
At least I’d ask that if I was to gave an advice

Nothing easier than installing re-find from an external (Fedora, Arch, …) boot stick in a Live System by running refind-install in a terminal.

On a running system
sudo qubes-dom0-update grub2-efi-x64-modules
may be another fallback.

See also MSI motherboards defy boot manager after BIOS update

Then you can create efi boot with :
efibootmgr -v -c -u -L pastor -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sda -p 1