Audio qube

Was this bug after the in place upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2?

android-x86. Its an .iso

Did you ever solve this? I’m also getting this:

Jan 13 00:56:30 sys-audio pipewire[1724]: mod.qubes-audio: org.qubes-os.audio-domain-xid not specified, and no /qubes-audio-domain-xid entry in QubesDB
Jan 13 00:56:30 sys-audio pipewire[1724]: pw.conf: 0x58c6705941e0: could not load mandatory module "libpipewire-module-qubes": No such file or directory
Jan 13 00:56:30 sys-audio pipewire[1724]: default: failed to create context: No such file or directory
Jan 13 00:56:30 sys-audio systemd[661]: pipewire.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=254/n/a

To answer my own question, this happens when sys-audio has no ‘audiovm’ property set, this fixes it:

qvm-prefs sys-audio audiovm sys-audio
1 Like

Didn’t upgrade. Fresh install.

If you do this, though, you can’t shut sys-audio down (if you ever need to do so) because it is being used as an audio qube by sys-audio. Just something to watch out for.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. You can shell into it and do sudo shutdown -h now though. A bit of a trade off, I chose to get rid of that error :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s much better than it not working at all! :smiley:

That said, I was one of those people who couldn’t get sys-audio to work at all in 4.1 (before someone consolidated the eight zillion posts including comments that started out with, “oh I forgot to tell you to try…”, all into one clean thread). I might give it another go after upgrading to 4.2. (Laptop in progress, desktop comes later.)

I’m not fully there yet either. I got USB speakers and a USB microphone and just got now got it all connected tot sys-audio and showing up in volume control. Up to today the microphone only worked inside sys-audio until I figured out I had to attach dom0:mic to the qube that needed the microphone… Now it sees it, and it records stuff, but it is stuttering all the time :frowning:

I’d be happy if it would just play audio over my speakers. I think I saw somewhere that HDMI might not work. (And I have to use HDMI; this mini has no audio jack at all–next one will have it; I’m tired of losing audio when the screens shut off after ten minutes).

I bought Pebble Pro USB speakers because of this. I also have HDMI sound and only dom0 can control that in my case. So I switched to USB via sys-usb to sys-audio to make it work.

1 Like

That’s probably the entire reason I could never get it to work before.

Yeesh, there must have been twenty back-and-forths between enmus and myself! Unfortunately, my speakers don’t work through USB. I suppose I could get some that do work (and find another use for these). I’m actually having to split my HDMI signal (with yet another small box that clutters my desktop) to get these to work.

If I want to rename the qube sys-audio to my_sys-audio, what needs to be changed?

• default_audiovm to my_sys-audio
  • Policy filename to 50-my_sys-audio
  • Policy itself, every sys-audio to my_sys-audio

What else?

If I’m not mistaken, if you just renaming sys-audio to my_sys-audio, everything is done automatically. You don’t have to change anything else.

Audio from other qubes doesn’t work.

Changing back:

• Qube name (my_sys-audio → sys-audio)
  • Policy itself, every my_sys-audio to sys-audio

Brings audio back to live.

I just try to rename my sys-audio to sys-audio-1 , JUST rename. All was ok for me. I reboot, all was ok too. I revert to sys-audio and all was ok for me… :confused:
I just renamed without touching dom0 or any other qubes. I looked in qubes-prefs in dom0 and in a few qubes with qvm-prefs and everything had been modified automatically…

You check qvm-prefs for audiovm or something else too?

audiovm changes apply automatically, yes, but I have no audio afterwards.

Just qvm-prefs for 3 4 qubes and qubes-prefs in dom0

Turns out Qubes don’t like underscores.
Thanks for trying to help.

By the way, are you sure you have renamed the working audio qube? Policies don’t change automatically as qube’s properties.

I had set up sys-audio, but I couldn’t manage to get it to work and now I can’t hear any sound when I attach USB audio. I would like to give up and try again later in the day, but what can I do to restore this setting? In the meantime.

qubes-prefs default_audiovm

I’m thinking that if I assign the original qube that is not sys-audio here, it will revert back to the original…