Asus KCMA-D8

Thanks for the reply. I plan to build one for virtualization and general server use, and it will very rarely be shut down. I heard these are rock solid boards once up and running. I try to gather as much info as I can before I start sourcing the parts and I hope it’s OK if I jump in and ask some questions.

Would you mind read the actual model number of the RAM sticks? There is a lot different sticks on the market.

Do you know if the PCI-e x16 port support Bifurcation so I can plug in a PCI-e x16 - 4pc M.2 adapters so that way I can increase the number of usable expansion ports? There is indication that the KGPE-D16 supports it, as Vikings sell their workstations with dual NVMe disks.

How do you think this board stands up in today’s age?

The quality of server mother boards are normally extremely high, and the boards typically can remain in use long after the CPUs become irrelevant, which is the case with boards like the KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16.

They don’t perform well compared to modern hardware, even midrange modern desktop systems are going to a lot more powerful when a +10-year-old server.

You also have to factor in the cost of running the system, where I live running a server that old could easily cost around €100 per month in electricity.

Really? Would you mind defining “a lot more powerful”?

Agree electricity cost should be factored in, but €100 per month seems quite excessive. (PSU alternatives perhaps?) Just me $0.02

Here is a benchmark comparison, I picked a random 4000 CPU.

€100 might be excessive for the kcma-d8, but where I live a 600W server running 24/7 would cost around €1100 per year at current prices, and 600W is not that uncommon for old servers.

Damn, running a 600W server 24/7 would cost around €1100 per year at your current location. Obviously running a kcma-d8 24/7 is probably bad opsec (unless you have your reasons) but still amazed at your electricity costs. Thanks for the info!

Can anyone confirm similar costs?
@Litter_Box?

See: Asus KCMA-D8 - #11 by Litter_Box

1 Like

KCMA-D8 can boot off of USB with Libreboot. Just connect an external USB hub and wait until you are at the grub bootloader screen. Then plug your bootable USB drive in and select the option to boot from USB. No more half installing on a separate computer anymore.

This was discovered a couple of days ago.