Asus KCMA-D8

Tried to run 2 GPUs at the same time:

AMD + Nvidia → Hang at Seabios
AMD + AMD → Hang at Seabios

Tried some CPU governor tweaks for Opteron 4274 HE:

Powersave → 1 minute to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm (1.4GHz)
Performance → 37 sec to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm (2.5GHz)
Ondemand → 43 sec to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm

1 Like

Setting the displays for “quick power off in blank only mode” under screensaver settings really cut down on the heat generated while leaving the computer to run overnight.

Installed the fastest Opteron supported by this board.

Tried some CPU governor tweaks for Opteron 4240:

Powersave → 62 sec to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm (1.4GHz)
Performance → 30 sec to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm (3.4GHz)
Ondemand → 37 sec to launch whonix-ws-16-dvm

1 Like

Upgraded from 64GB to 128GB of RAM and it runs fine.

1 Like

Do you know what the total power consumption is at 100% load?

Some power tests (measurements taken at AC input of power supply):

Using: Opteron 4240 CPU and AMD FirePro W7000 GPU

Testing parameters for 100% load: stress -c 12 (running in a debian dvm set to use 12 vCPUs)

Powered down → 2.5 Watts
Idle → 150 Watts
100% load → 330 Watts then crept up to 350 Watts

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, the 150w idle is brutal with the current electricity prices.

Energy consumption can vary greatly depending on the processors used. The ones I’m running are 95 watt processors and I’m running two of them. You can just run one of them and put a piece of plastic over the unused processor socket. There are lots of processor options out there. See: list of Opteron processors. Try finding a wattage that works for you. Libreboot for KCMA-D8 currently compatible with 4200 and 4300 series CPUs. See Libreboot. NOTE: KCMA-D8 currently unsupported by libreboot. Just download the older version of libreboot. See: Libreboot Bios download.

2 Likes

The dusk of civilization.

Computer got stuck at “loading initram” on powerup. Rebooted and works fine. This happens very rarely. On another note the USB hub still works great, still no usb mouse issues while using it. I’m using this usb hub. I don’t use the external power adapter for the hub.

With memory balancing turned off, VMs are very smooth. qmemman may not like the registered buffered ram or something.

Thanks for all this info. I came to this thread by searching for memory compatibility of this board. What memory modules are you using? All the same or different?

How stable is your system?
I have KGPE-D16 with 192GB ram and its pain to deal with it.

I don’t touch sleep mode because it doesn’t work. Computer boots fine about 95% of the time. It’s rock solid once it’s up and running. What problems are you having with yours?

I have 2 of the KCMA-D8 motherboards and each has the following RAM:

• Samsung “Used” 128GB (8x16GB) DDR3 PC3-10600R ECC Reg RDIMM $144
  • A-TECH “New” 64GB (8x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600R ECC Reg RDIMM $120

The “used” RAM looked like new, I regret buying the “new” ones.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I plan to build one for virtualization and general server use, and it will very rarely be shut down. I heard these are rock solid boards once up and running. I try to gather as much info as I can before I start sourcing the parts and I hope it’s OK if I jump in and ask some questions.

Would you mind read the actual model number of the RAM sticks? There is a lot different sticks on the market.

Do you know if the PCI-e x16 port support Bifurcation so I can plug in a PCI-e x16 - 4pc M.2 adapters so that way I can increase the number of usable expansion ports? There is indication that the KGPE-D16 supports it, as Vikings sell their workstations with dual NVMe disks.

How do you think this board stands up in today’s age?

The quality of server mother boards are normally extremely high, and the boards typically can remain in use long after the CPUs become irrelevant, which is the case with boards like the KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16.

They don’t perform well compared to modern hardware, even midrange modern desktop systems are going to a lot more powerful when a +10-year-old server.

You also have to factor in the cost of running the system, where I live running a server that old could easily cost around €100 per month in electricity.

Really? Would you mind defining “a lot more powerful”?

Agree electricity cost should be factored in, but €100 per month seems quite excessive. (PSU alternatives perhaps?) Just me $0.02

Here is a benchmark comparison, I picked a random 4000 CPU.

€100 might be excessive for the kcma-d8, but where I live a 600W server running 24/7 would cost around €1100 per year at current prices, and 600W is not that uncommon for old servers.

Damn, running a 600W server 24/7 would cost around €1100 per year at your current location. Obviously running a kcma-d8 24/7 is probably bad opsec (unless you have your reasons) but still amazed at your electricity costs. Thanks for the info!

Can anyone confirm similar costs?
@Litter_Box?