Are there any USB speakers that can be used in QubesOS without any configuration?

My technical skills do not allow me to attach and use USB speakers to QubesOS, and I am currently using cheap speakers from Amazon that I can use without additional configuration.

However, I would like to know if there is a USB speaker that can be used without configuration like the one I am using now. If it depends on the compatibility with the motherboard, I guess I’ll have to try it.

You can use USB Class Compliant speakers, audio interfaces or headphones with Qubes OS if you properly setup a sys-audio Cube. You have to do the following:

1. Read the speaker datasheet/specs before purchase and ensure it is USB Class Compliant. Many of them are USB Class Compliant which means they need no additional driver to work with Linux/Windows/MacOS. Ordinary ones are sold as USB Speakers and Pro-Audio ones are sold as USB Audio Monitors.

2. You should read the community guide on setting up a dedicated sys-audio service cube. And ensure you could follow the steps to setup your own sys-audio cube. Otherwise it won’t work in all domains.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was hoping to find some quality speakers that would work by default…but it looks like I need to do some setup. I had tried that but it didn’t work and I had given up. I think I will keep the current situation as it is and use Amazon speakers because they are the only ones I have.

1 Like