4.2.0 Unable to boot, install, and no logs, just black screen on new system (ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI)

Hello,

I’m very new to the forum, first time posting. i apologize if it posted this in the wrong category, i’m not a 100% sure were this post would typically go

Im having some serious issues trying to install QubesOS 4.2.0 on the following hardware:

motherboard: ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI
processor: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper Pro 3955WX
RAM: x2 Crucial 32gb DDR4-3200-UDIMM CT32G4DFD832A
Storage: NVME Samsung Evo Pro Plus 2tb
Drive slot: 0
Graphics card: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT 6G GDDR6

My goal is to install version 4.20 onto this hardware. For troubleshooting purposes, I’ve also tried installing version 4.1.2 just to see if it was even possible.

Brief overview:
I can’t get past the GRUB splash screen, nor do I get any output, logs, or further information to help with the installation of version 2.4.0. I’ve tried with and without the latest kernel, I’ve tried verbose output, but nothing has worked. I’ve followed all of the installation, troubleshooting, and boot issue guides on Qubes’ website to the letter. I’ve tried multiple installation media, various methods of creating the boot media, modifying GRUB, and manually loading the kernel into memory. Nothing has worked. I’m about 98% positive that someone has gotten Qubes installed on this motherboard. I say that because this person got some help, tried the troubleshooting guide, and hasn’t responded or reposted on that thread since (see the link below for more info)

Problem with Qubes OS 4.2.0:
I can reach the GRUB splash screen/menu and select different options. I’ve tried all four options, but each one presents a black screen with zero logs. I’ve attempted to modify each of the GRUB menus based on various articles and tried every combination.

I’ve tried using Rufus (ISO and DD mode), DD on the Linux CLI, Etcher, with no success.

I’ve tried modifying all four options in the initial GRUB splash screen with the following:

I’ve tried everything in this article as well:

I cannot get past the GRUB menu; nothing has worked. I can’t get to a CLI because I can’t even get that far. I’ve tried manually loading the kernel into memory using EFI shell, checked the boot order, changed nearly every BIOS option, ensured all articles I’ve followed had these requirements. I tried installing from both BIOS and UEFI, but nothing works. Ive ensured secure boot is off, and all of the other requirements for qubes are enabled

I’ve spent days trying to get this to work, searching forums, trying nearly every article I could find. Please keep in mind, everything I’ve tried when installing 4.1.2, I’ve tried with 4.2.0, and vice versa.

When trying to install Qubes OS 4.1.2, I’ve had a lot of luck but still not complete success. I was finally able to get Qubes to the install page by using the latest kernel options, modifying the multiboot2 line with the following to get to the install screen:

dom0_max_vcpus=1
dom0_vcpus_pin
acpi=off

I got this info from here and I’ve tried everything in this article:

Problem with Qubes OS 4.1.2:
I can reach the GRUB splash screen/menu and select different options. I’ve tried all four options, but each one presents a black screen with zero logs. I’ve attempted to modify each of the GRUB menus based on various articles and tried every combination.

I’ve tried using Rufus (ISO and DD mode), DD on the Linux CLI, Etcher, with no success.

I’ve tried boot, modifying all four options in the initial GRUB splash screen with the following:

I cannot get past the GRUB menu; nothing has worked. I can’t get to a CLI because I can’t even get that far. I’ve tried manually loading the kernel into memory using EFI shell, checked the boot order, changed nearly every BIOS option, ensured all articles I’ve followed had these requirements. I tried installing from both BIOS and UEFI, but nothing works.

I’ve spent days trying to get this to work, searching forums, trying nearly every article I could find. Please keep in mind, everything I’ve tried when installing 4.1.2, I’ve tried with 4.2.0, and vice versa.

When trying to install Qubes OS 4.1.2, I’ve had a lot of luck but still not complete success. I was finally able to get Qubes to the install page by using the latest kernel options, modifying the multiboot2 line with the following to get to the install screen:
dom0_max_vcpus=1
dom0_vcpus_pin
acpi=off

I went through the installer, everything went well except for when it was actually installing. It threw an error, and I ran into the problem where the boot order was wrong. I solved this by booting the kernel manually into memory, and it sort of worked. I got to the part where it was loading the OS, but it hung, and there were some issues with it hanging and failing. My keyboard did not work because of the following from the multiboot2 line, so I removed:

acpi=off

Once I removed it, I finally, after 9 days of trying, got it to install normally without having boot order problems. It booted into the OS, and it hung there and looped. My keyboard did not work, and no text or logs could be found, and nothing worked; it just hung like the install screen did in 4.2.0.

I was able to get it to boot and begin loading the OS; I got my keyboard to work. I still couldn’t get to a shell, though, and it hung. I was able to get this far by modifying the multiboot2 line and adding just the following:

dom0_max_vcpus=1
dom0_vcpus_pin

This was a huge win; I finally got it to load to the point where it had the loading icons and so on. I even got it to prompt for my LUKS decryption passphrase, but to get there, it took 5 hours to load to the prompt. I waited another 24 hours after entering the decryption key, and nothing happened, and I was stuck again.

Next in GRUB, I tried modifying:
dom0_max_vcpus=1

to

dom0_max_vcpus=4

No luck sadly still took 5 hours to get to the prompt for luks passphrase.

I went back into the GRUB menu, modified the module2 line, and removed the “quiet” to get more log info. This gave a lot of insight. I tried both options in the GRUB splash screen.

This is as far as I’ve gotten. I have some pictures below to show the output of this. I don’t know if this would help find a way to get 4.20 to boot, but I thought I’d add this just in case. Below are the pictures from the verbose output after I removed the “quiet” in the module2 line.

Most of what I read from the verbose output seems to be something with the NVMe drive. I’m not 110% sure, but I hope this might help. also very thing up until this point loaded very fast as a normal linux os would. this is were it hangs. this is also a successful install of Qubes 4.1.2. im not sure if this will help or not for installing 4.2.0. See picture below.

the next photo is some other things ive tried/mentioned in this post, here are the some of the output ive gotten with QubesOS 4.1.2. these photos are with verbose output, some of these are take after before and after the OS boots and begins to load.

this photo be low is after entering the lux passphrase and waited 24 hours

here is a non verbose output of the OS after about an hour of booting

here is 24 hours after entering passphrase in non verbose mode:

here is some more info from non verbose, this is when the thing start to go very slow, this is were it stops and i have to wait 5 hours before being prompted

here is another picture after 24 hours boot in verbose mode prompting for Luks passphrase

With version 4.2.0, I have no logs, no other info; I’ve tried everything I could to modify GRUB on each of the four options, nothing worked. Does anyone have any insight? I’m completely stuck; I’m not sure if this is a bug, a Xen issue, a hardware issue, a layer 8 issue (problem resides between chair and keyboard).

If anyone could help me out that would be huge, any insight would be great as well.

Thank you

You can try this:

For Qubes OS 4.1 you may need to add x2apic=false Xen option in GRUB. This option shouldn’t be required for Qubes OS 4.2.

Or maybe it’s a problem with RAID mode for your storage. Try to change it to AHCI in BIOS.

2 Likes

Awesome alright ill give this a try! Thank you so much! I’ll keep you updated.

I’ve tried the x2apic=false before in 4.1 after the successful install. i had the same issue expect if my memory serves my correctly, i just had a blank screen after trying to boot. and/or my keyboard didn’t work. i should add i did try this in both 4.1 and 4.2

neither worked sadly

For the storage, i’m not using any sort of RAID. I’ve also ensure things were set to AHCI mode in BIOS prior to trying to any installs of Qubes (4.1 & 4.2)

Thank you so much again for the suggestions and reply!

oh my goodness this worked! thank you so much apparatus!!!