Laptop dell inspiron 15 3535

Remarks

A bit difficult to have the EFI boot the usb drive, then installation worked nominally.

This machine has the RTL8821CE chipset, so the rtw88_8821ce kernel module problem : wifi does not work, unless the driver problem is fixed (not tried for the moment on this laptop, using an usb rj45 adapter).

All the rest works correctly (fans are a bit noisy though).

Attachments

layout:
‘hcl’
type:
‘Notebook’
hvm:
‘yes’
iommu:
‘yes’
slat:
‘yes’
tpm:
‘2.0’
remap:
‘yes’
brand: |
Dell Inc.
model: |
Inspiron 15 3535
bios: |
cpu: |
AMD Ryzen 5 7530U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
FIXME
chipset: |
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir/Cezanne Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
FIXME
gpu: |
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Barcelo [1002:15e7] (rev c5) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
FIXME
network: |
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:c821]
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
‘no’
versions:

2 Likes

Thank you for HCL. Can you please fill the detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.

@Sven @balko Folks, are we following that new format for the HCL or the old one? I parsed and cleaned one HCL report on the old format yesterday, but I see Balko asking users to go with this new format, which is completely different. I’d like to help somehow, but I’m confused.

I think about it as a separate thing. As qubes-hcl-report is not updated and not even in progress, people will only send usual (as you called old) HCL reports with no additional information. So, current HCL table should probably filled the way @Sven was doing it, right?

I voluntarily ask people these additional questions for several reasons:

1. To find out if users are ready to commit such kind of reports. And they do! Note that I am currently skipping email HCLs, not asking users there.

2. To get a lot of useful information about device. Workarounds, useful things and information what does not work. Some people report simply HCL file which I do not consider to be that useful.

3. When a bit more people answer my question-table, I or somebody else can spend time to build the bigger table with all this information and links to the HCL reports and other stuff. That will allow to renew the recommended and NOT recommended list of laptops for Qubes OS.

Long story short:

• If user sends basic HCL report, it should go to the existing HCL table.
  • If user also elaborates on extended report, it can go to the future extended compare table and a future laptop recommended list.

Ah, understood. I’ll parse the basic report, then

@flavio we keep doing what we have been doing for now. qubes-hcl-report is actively maintained and was updated for R4.2 (e.g. you don’t have to correct the indentation of -works anymore). There is also a conversation on GitHub about the other details that have been addressed.

What @balko is doing is having a discussion about how to improve things, which is great but that should have zero influence on your current work flow. I agree with him that most people just send in the report as it’s generated by the tool, which has extremely limited usefulness. As I wrote earlier, I recommend nudging them to at least answer:

• what was tested
  • what works
  • what doesn’t work
2 Likes

It sounds good, Sven. I submitted a pull request with three new reports, please check.

Best,

Flavio

1 Like

Thank you @flavio. I reviewed and left some change requests there.

I think PRs are an excellent way to learn and document the finer points at the same time. After a few iterations you’ll be good to go and others will have a resource to see our conversation.

Cheers,
/Sven

1 Like

I agree! Thanks for all your help!!! I just made the changes. Please see if the pull request is now reasonably fine.

Best,

Flavio

1 Like

Installation

• installation : could not had sys-net from scratch, had to troubleshoot slightly
  • Was latest kernel required? yes, had to force upgrade to 6.6.2-1.fc37, higher than highest one available in from ISO 4.2.0rc4

Basic Input

• Keyboard - works
  • External USB mouse - works
  • Touch-pad - works
  • Touch-pad supports “tap as click” and scrolling with 2 fingers works - works
  • Display brightness change shortcuts - works
  • Sound volume shortcuts - works
  • Keyboard led and keyboard brightness change shortcuts - N/A
  • Output of xinput --list from terminal of dom0 - don’t work
  • Check if keyboard and/or touchpad is PS/2 connected : yes (it has an AT Translated Set 2 keyboard + an PS/2 Generic Mouse according to /proc/bus/input/devices)

Internet and bluetooth

• Ethernet cable connection - works out of the box or actions were required? - no RJ-45 adapter
  • Ethernet cable connection - speed - not tested yet
  • Wifi connection - works out of the box or actions were required? - no, driver for chipset RTL8821ce in error, device detached from sys-net
  • Wifi connection - speed, is reliable over the time? - N/A
  • Bluetooth - works out of the box or actions were required? - same as wifi I presume, not tried
  • Bluetooth - shows devices, connection process works, sound output or copying works. - N/A

Suspend

• Suspend/Resume works - works out of the box or actions were required? it worked except the problem I had with wifi driver. Once device detached, S/R works fine (though imposes to reassign usb rj45 adapter on resume, maybe a setup or a script needed)
  • Does resume breaks WiFi, if it does, how to recover it? - N/A
  • Does resume breaks Bluetooth, if it does, how to recover it? - N/A

Video [increase VCPU to the qube before test]

• Fullscreen and windowed video playback of youtube - 720p/1080p/2K/4K in Firefox. Does it drop frames? no, remains fluid, but fans are too noisy
  • Video file playback of file using mpv/mplayer/smplayer - 1080p? Higher resolutions and bitrates? - not tested yet
  • Multiple displays configuration works (using available DP/Thunderbolt, HDMI or other video ports) - not tested yet

Audio

• Speakers (sound playback) (was sys-audio used?) - works (no sys-audio created)
  • Head-phones via 3.5" jack (works, automatically turns off speakers?) - works
  • Sound output via HDMI - not tested yet
  • Audio-optical (S/PDIF) output - N/A

Fans

• Are fans silent on idle? - if fans @ 0 RPM, ok! But T° makes them spin soon a little, disturbing. When on load (at work), rapidly too noisy
  • Are fans noisier than on Windows/Linux?. If they are, was thankfan or similar software tried? - did not keep Windows more than a day, don’t remember though fans did not seem to be a problem. Will try thankfan !

Other

• Have you tried running Windows 10 HVM qubes? ** not yet**
  • Does CPU boost seem to be working properly? don’t known CPU boost

Specs:

• Link to the laptop page on the brand website,
  • Display native resolution - 1920*1080
  • Maximum possible RAM memory - at least 16gb, 2 slots, will test 64 gb
  • CPU score ~ 16493
  • Number of USB Controllers and if more than one: information what internal USB devices and USB ports are connected to which controller - see 2 in lspci. How to known the connections ?
  • Internal TPM - TPM 2
2 Likes

@qos_newbie please read “How to submit a HCL report?

@Sven

By the link above, did you ask if .cpio file was possible or … something else ?

Anyhow, I just generated the .cpio file Processing: Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Inspiron_15_3535-20231228-170926.cpio.gz… (just erased serial numbers, though I doubt it can be used _ seems the file has difficulties to upload, isn’t it ?)

EDIT : upload remains “processing” for dozens of minutes, probably a bug by me, though it seems the cpio.gz file was correctly uploaded … I preferred not to try the .yaml, as it should be the same as previous one, but anyhow, I’m trying to upload the “same way”

Processing: Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Inspiron_15_3535-20231228-170926.yml…

logistics

I don’t see the YML file.

Since last kernel update (6.6.9-1.fc37), the RTL8821CE driver has been fixed : the wifi is working right away.

[EDIT] Also tested : 64 (2x32) GB RAM works (important to Qubes OS users :smiley: )

1 Like