Wireguard not working under debian-12-xfce in Q4.2

Hi all…
I was switching to Q4.2 a few days ago…everything is working really smooth except wireguard under debian-12-xfce. When I switch the template to fedora-38-xfce it is working as expected.

I am running wireguard with my network-manager. The leak protection is done by limiting the network traffic to the vpn ips…

Any suggestions why it is not wrking?

Hi there,

Have you installed wireguard-tools package into debian-12-xfce template? I’m using a similar setup with Mullvad + wireguard + QubesOS.

Thanks.

You should be able to obtain some information about network-manager by looking at the systemd unit logs

sudo journalctl -u NetworkManager

1 Like

So I had been busy lately but yesterday I was able to play around with my networking again. As I mentioned above the vpn was working perfectly with a fedora-38-xfce template.
When I was playing around with some other networking-qubes the network traffic did not seem to work whenever I started the qube with the network-manager service enabled under the debian-12-xfce template. Switching back to the fedora-38-xfce template the networking was working properly. So I think it might be connected to a bug with the network-manager service. Can anyone verify my observation?

All the qubes I was playig around with had networking enabled!

Maybe you forgot to install a package in your fedora template that is present in the fedora xfce template, something like wireguard-tools maybe

It is all there…and traffic was blocked no matter what I did…as soon as network-manager was enabled in services it was blocked…

Have you tried it? Just switch the templates from fedora-38-xfce to debian-12-xfce…

We all have to learn nftables if we want VPN in R4.2.

Happened now to me 2 days in row… Same thing! Fucking annoying to say at least

On vpn vm command “curl am.i.connected…” works, says connected
On vpn vm wireguard gives handshake…

But then the vpn vm wont provide network for other qubes. This stops providing after restart. I have to configure all again and again, somehow now 1 vpn vm “survived” and still provides network normally after the restart.

What was your cure for this?