Wifi printer

I need to get a wifi printer in another room working on my computer but I can’t figure out how to do it and so far the information I have read is not helping.
I thought it might be easier to install linux Mint in a stand alone HVM because Mint is pretty easy to work with, however I can’t get the internet to work in the HVM.
I need this dad gum HP wifi printer working and I don’t really care how I do it I just need it to work.

I have 2 HP printers working (with scanning!), here is my setup:

• Cloned a Fedora template and named it “Printer Drivers”

• Download HPLIP drivers with disposable vm here

• Move HPLIP from disposable to “Printer Drivers”

• Install HPLIP in “Printer Drivers” with “./hplip-install” or “sudo sh hplip-3.22.2.run” (I forget which one)

• Create App VM called “Printing” based off of “Printer Drivers” (Give it net access to sys-firewall)

• run “hp-setup” and then “sudo system-config-printer” in “Printing” (Needed to install pyqt5 with “dnf install pyqt5” for the program to launch)

• backup these qvms because this is a pain in the ass to setup

• Anything that needs printing can be moved to the “Printing” App VM and printed there

I set this up a year ago and the commands may not be accurate. Trial and error is your friend here. I’m going off of terminal history. Looking at my instructions, I think I got some of the commands wrong. pyqt5 probably needs to be installed in the template. Static addressing for your WiFi printer may or may not help. I used static addressing and it works fine. Mileage may vary.

1 Like

I followed the directions but when it comes time to set up printer I get this.

SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE

Num Connection Description
Type

0* usb Universal Serial Bus (USB)
1 net Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
2 par Parallel Port (LPT:)

Enter number 0…2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Are you doing this in the template?

Try “sudo hp-plugin” in the template. It may be for scanners, but my memory eludes me. Keep trying stuff.

Yes did a fresh Qubes install yesterday, cloned a fedora template and installed everything in template. I see that GUI PyQt4 and PyQt5 are not installed do I need those?

My understanding that Qt packages are optional. If they are not installed hp-setup would let you configure printers with CLI/shell. If you’d like to be use GUI for that, then you’d need one of those installed.

I found some dependencies and fixed them ran the hp-setup again and this time I have a pop up gui but it is not seeing my printer, yet.
Also have this message which I cannot seem to resolve.
(python:37747): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:43:53.642: gdk_atom_intern: assertion ‘atom_name != NULL’ failed

(python:37747): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:43:53.642: gdk_atom_intern: assertion ‘atom_name != NULL’ failed
Searching… (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: Failed to run the /usr/bin/lsusb command
error: No devices found on bus: usb

It is supposed to give you an option what type of printer you are trying to add. The fact that it complains about not being able to find usb printer is ok, since it sounds like you are intending to add a wifi printer. It should let you pick a network printer to add, and from that view you are supposed to have an option to scan for one or add one manually.

Yes I have three options one is for wifi printer, I have tried all three options though.
HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.

This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link. https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/KnowledgeBase/Troubleshooting/TroubleshootNetwork

It must be a firewall issue.

Ah, in that case, yes, I’d check firewall.

Well this is withering I almost have it, but I have been fighting this all day, not sure what the hang up is but I’m sure I can’t figure it out tonight.