Why I use Qubes

Sure, but Linux compatibility is no guarantee that you can use Qubes OS. I’ve seen two people with Ryzen 9 say Fedora is working, but that they can’t install Qubes.

I was one of them, but found it. Qubes is like a life. It’s not easy and smooth. But the one I have - simply no alternatives. I can try different paths, but that would be only trying new templates, it still would be the one I have.

So you should agree that Qubes does not have to become Windows or Mac to attract significantly more users.

Absolutely. The user implied / would like that. What I don’t agree on with him is how.
I would rather sell out all the laptops that can’t run Qubes until I find the one working, instead to endanger my online (and personal consequently) security by not using the Qubes. It’s just not “tradeoff-able”.

Would you?

Then it might be Xen?

Disclaimer

Far from the truth that I imply by this Qubes devs’ work is flawless

In 2025, it will be fedora 35. In 2030, it’ll be Fedora 41.

I doubt errors like this are related to xen, but I could be wrong.

It just seems like there is some combinations of Qubes + motherboard + other random hardware that doesn’t work out of the box, and the same combination can be confirmed working with traditional Linux.

Which is why I said there are limited resources, it’s not realistic to expect the devs to solve all issues of this nature. Some of the issues might be trivial, others might not, but fixing and testing even trivial issues can be time-consuming/impossible without access to the hardware.

I think that some people make the mistake of thinking that if the chipset works on one motherboard, it will work on all motherboards. Just because the ASUS ArtPro B550 works, that doesn’t mean all B550 boards will work.

2 Likes