Whonix-workstation error when gateway is not named "sys-whonix"

I think this is more of a bug then anything else but I am not sure where to post it and do not have a github account to link it there eitherway

I use multiple whonix-gateways and workstations, the general setup being sys-net → vpn1 → gateway-for-system-updates
I use multiple whonix-gateways and workstations, the general setup being sys-net → vpn2 → gateway-2 → workstation-2
I use multiple whonix-gateways and workstations, the general setup being sys-net → vpn3 →
gateway-3 → workstation-3
I use multiple whonix-gateways and workstations, the general setup being sys-net → vpn4 → gateway-4 → workstation-4

Dec 31 04:30:55 dom0 qrexec-policy-daemon[1949]: qrexec: target 'sys-whonix' does not exist, using @default instead
Dec 31 04:30:55 dom0 qrexec-policy-daemon[1949]: qrexec: whonix.NewStatus+status: disp298 -> sys-whonix: denied: denied by policy /etc/qubes/policy.d/80-whonix.policy:8
Dec 31 04:35:17 dom0 qrexec-policy-daemon[1949]: qrexec: qubes.NotifyUpdates+: disp298 -> @adminvm: allowed to dom0

I’m not really knowledable on how qrexec works but I assume by said error it expects sys-whonix to be present, which is not since I am not using any appvm named sys-whonix by the nature of my setup, I’m not really knowledgable on how qrexec works either and I haven’t played around with it since I do not want to compromise my vms cause of it

1 Like

Damn its been months, I guess rewriting policys is kind of a big deal that needs a lot to be taken into considiration, nevertheless at least I know it is being fixed

If you are running 4.2 you have easy access these policies. While I would however only recommend it if you are aware of the potential consequences and have a newly made backup of your entire setup.

(Apologies for repeating the same thing you did in the reply right before me)

Seems not, following the examples of qubes development documentation everything seems to be in order, the redirections a few posts earlier by apparatus explain that sadly said policies are hardcoded rather then based on the policies themselfs only, sesms I will have to wait for now

2 Likes