Whonix 16 Upgrade

Hello,

I am new to Qubes and linux in general and I would appreciate some clarification/help as to the proper way of upgrading whonix 15 to whonix 16, I have read the documentation but I was a bit confused as to the proper way to go about doing this.

Use case: I use whonix to update dom0 and templates and to browse the web, almost exclusively through disp vms

With that said, when I upgraded from fedora 32 to 33, I changed the appsvms that were using 32 to 33, including the disp vm template. In essence, do I do the same for whonix? Change sys-whonix to start using whonix gw 16 and anon-whonix and whonix-ws-15-dvm to start using whonix ws 16? Is that how I should do it or is it different for whonix?

Thanks in advance

PS:I saw that there was a bug which caused the Qubes appmenu to be empty, is there something that can be done or do I have to wait for this to be fixed by the devs?

1 Like

Even though Whonix 16 is released as stable I would suggest waiting a bit before upgrading. Because at the moment using whonix-gw-16 based sys-whonix doesn’t work for dom0 updates. Other than that I haven’t noticed any bugs. About the appmenu bug: By default there are no items shown in AppMenu for new AppVMs nor Whonix 16 template VM’s but going to Whonix 16 templates or AppVM’s “Qube Settings” under “Applications” you can change the list that is shown

1 Like

From this page:
In summary, three options are available (listed in order of preference):

1. Uninstall Qubes-Whonix ™ and then Install Qubes-Whonix ™; OR
  2. Reinstall the Whonix TemplateVM; OR
  3. Release Upgrade Whonix 15 to Whonix 16
1 Like

I appreciate the reply, as to the page you posted, which option did you go with and recommend?

Also, I was reading this page HowTo: Install the Stable Version of Qubes-Whonix ™ 16
Which states that the first step is removing the old versions of whonix, does this specifically mean whonix gw and whonix ws templates or does it also mean whonix based app vms?

I tried that method and also sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-itl-testing qubes-template-whonix-ws-16. I had the same problems both methods. It might have been because I renamed my whonix 15 templates. I ended up doing a fresh Qubes reinstall and was successful installing whonix 16 using the method you linked. I kept whonix 15 as a backup and ran 16 for the day until I felt comfortable deleting 15, but when I deleted 15, I wasn’t able to run any updates through dom0.

I didn’t check at the time, but I think there were policy files (/etc/qubes-rpc/policy) still referring to whonix 15, which might explain the problem.

I went with option 1. First uninstalling Qubes-Whonix and installing Qubes-Whonix. This is because I wanted a clean installation.
What that part is refering to is removal of at least some AppVM’s (sys-whonix, anon-whonix and whonix-ws-15-dvm) and Whonix TemplateVM’s.

For what to remove and how: