Who to complain to?

I invest my free time to be employed and got paid for the strict jobs in my contract. If I don’t do what I’m employed for, I’m fired. And I have to eat.

How’s with open source software? I reckon those who develop it are also investing their free time (beloved syntax whenever excuse is convenient) but also paid for it, (right?), and yet they don’t provide it with the advertised functionality very often. Or, more specific, they decide what will be included in it and what will be fixed or not, when and if.

So, no employer to complain to when at least basic functionalities are in the matter like switching keyboard layout causing massive lags and eventually freezing whole system, or updater gui that cannot be fully deployed when updating all the qubes at once, let’s say more than 30. All of that for years and years.

No complains to payees helped so far for many of these basic things.

Who to complain then? Major sponsors and donors?

1 Like

You could fix the problem yourself, that is kinda the point of open-source.

2 Likes

Did you pay for your copy of QubesOS? If so then complain to that person.

2 Likes

See the licence

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html

2 Likes

I just wanted to know does it make sense to complain to sponsors in terms of reputation risks for payees, complaining on continuous basic (dis)functionalities. Not formal things.

1 Like

Solene even posted you the license…

You need to fix it yourself, that is how open source works.

NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t make any sense. Free software is risky, it’s often made by people who just want to have fun working on some niche piece of code, usually for themselves as their first/only user.

Usually, when there are big governance issues in a project, it gets forked, which involves duplicating the codebase somewhere else, change the name and work on it as a new separate project on your side, this is obviously useless if you have no idea how the whole project works.

As a “end user” / “consumer” of free software, you have no other choice than trusting and accepting the current state, report issues in an usual way so it get improved: nobody cares about rants or poorly written bug reports, and if you are the only person with a specific issue, it’s unlikely it will be ever fixed if not reported.

To add a bit more on what others have already said: Open source licenses, such as GPL v.2, that Qubes OS is licensed under, are all about freedom (yeah, they are free as in free beer, but more importantly, free as in free speech). As such, you are free to use the software, inspect the source code, change it in any way it fits you, distribute the original source code and the source code of any of your modifications, and charge a nominal fee for the cost of the floppy disks (yeah, if that’s still a thing in 2023) or the bandwidth used to download it. The idealistic goals behind the GPL also force anyone introducing changes to release the source code together with any binary artifacts (if they chose to distribute those binaries), in order to not restrict the freedom of those who receive the modified binaries.

This is independent from any support aspects, and the license is pretty specific about limiting the liability of software developers or maintainers in order to encourage them to do more of that without fear of legal repercussions. In some cases, open source organizations (both, non profit and commercial) provide some form of support directly to end users. In other cases, that support is handled by voluntaries and is primarily community driven (like in the case of Qubes OS).

By having access to the source code, you have everything you need to support yourself (possibly minus the necessary knowledge) but, in most cases, if you ask nicely, some other user will step up and help you out of the kindness of their heart. This is how things worked back in the day when this started, where most of these communications happened over newsnets and/or BBS forums, and continues to be a quite successful model even 40 years later.

Of course, you are also free to use the software or not. If this support model doesn’t cater to your needs, you may want to consider using a different operating system: one that is sold by and supported by a purely commercial organization. Of course, in most of these cases, you will not have access to the source code without forking out a ton of money, as others have said, and you will need to trust that company, their employees, their leaders, their governments, etc. This is your choice and free software is all about choice. You can read more about the goals of the Free Software Foundation here: Free software is a matter of liberty, not price — Free Software Foundation — Working together for free software(FSF,rights%20of%20all%20software%20users (the GPL v.2 software license that Qubes OS uses has been created by the Free Software Foundation).

In sum, if Qubes OS doesn’t do exactly what you need it to do, you can:

1. ask others here and most times you will get high quality assistance;
  2. fix things yourself and, if you feel generous enough, contribute back to the project for others to benefit from your enhancements too;
  3. forget Qubes OS and pick a commercial operating system of your choice.

What you cannot do is either demand a fix or hold developers, payees, or community members liable for any defects.

I hope this helps and doesn’t come out as a rant and rather a constructive educational feedback piece.

Best,

Flavio

3 Likes

I understand your frustration. Qubes requires effort, perhaps too much effort to learn, to implement a usable version for; Journalists. Human Rights Defenders. Businessman. Even someone who needs to protect their personal money, lifestyle from the “Barbarians at the Gate.” And then anyone who wants a bit of peace and quiet while using the internet, as opposed to being bombarded with targeted advertising from “Surveillance Capitalism.”

Reality is, When we post on the internet, things sound sharper and more abrasive than we intended. I have to chill sometimes.

Qubes is not like a polished OS. Even other OS’s, like Fedora, PopOS, and a long list are not fully polished. Qubes OS, difficulties, does not have an Apple Care, or a Dell Support to help when those go sideways or backwards or just hang.

Qubes Developers stitched together Xen, with some basic OS. Then have to make decisions, will this doing this or that make Qubes less than Secure. I personally want to add a bunch of ‘third party’ programs, programs that most OS’s make easy to install. I know that each time I add "third party’ software, I make my Qubes less secure. I increase the “Attack Surface.” Yes even if I am adding programs to communicate with encryption. These programs are needed to make Qubes more usable.

I suspect. That the developers, the next point they consider in what they do, is; Is this change part of what they (Qubes Developers) can control, continue to control.

Such as: If they felt they should change, improve Firefox by, - starting it with a different DNS, Search Engine, a few security designed extensions. Then every time there is an update to Firefox,or the OS it is in (now Debian or Fedora), or Qubes itself. several people would need to spend hours and hours testing those changes to make sure the security is not reduced in some ways. Plus, someone must answer questions about the different performance of the Firefox they changed. When now there are forums for the standard Firefox, Fedora or Debian implementations of Firefox now.

When I find myself irritated by some limitation, that I run into. I step back think awhile, and realize the limitation was keep this Qubes --Secure (Security is a very big deal for me) or to preserve my personal choice in how to use Qubes. Usually I am impressed with, that was a brilliant decision to make it that way.

I think we are closer to having a polished version of Qubes, even if it is one people like me make less secure with adding ‘third party’ programs, than we realize. Likely the upcoming documentation of the 4.2 Final will clarify the things, my limited experience, tech knowledge did not know how to implement. A few things might need to be fixed.

Then as others share their implementations of certain, modified Qubes, Qubes will have the polish you desire. That I desire.

Please try not to take the direct replies of all on this thread to be more angry, than people who mostly volunteer their time want to get on with what they are doing. (sorry if I am again speaking out of place, I used to be a programmer, and was not always easy to talk with)

I’d add one more choice:
4. You can hire some outside software developer e.g. on some freelance site and have him implement the feature that you need in Qubes OS. All his work will be publicly available on github to review by you and Qubes OS developers. The Qubes OS developers are open for contributions so they will review his work and either accept the changes or ask to fix them and describe a way to do it. This way you’ll be able to check the freelancer’s work and pay him accordingly.

5 Likes

I don’t think I was understood, but thank you for helping me to formulate correctly what and how to complain on, because the exact idea is to avoid referring to a license or any other formal basis and getting distinctive from these when answered. Is anyone able/willing to comprehend the idea?

So, when Harvard gets nuked by it’s sponsors in the example from my link above, it’s not about the quality of their product - prestigious education, it’s about reputation damage their future prestigious education holders make. You know what I mean?

You know, like recent cancelling actors by Hollywood, based on woke related complaints of consumers of their acting, and all other kinds of recent woke cancelling. While the product - acting is at the highest level and as such never violated any contract or license. You know what I mean?

So, once again - it's not about the quality of the product (outstanding OS), not about violating any license (not to my knowledge), not about the product at all, but the attitude of those it refers to, so it might make reputation damage to sponsors and wider as such.

Does it make sense now? Or, you are saying you’re 100% sure sponsors wouldn’t care on complaints not based on the product itself or any complaints at all?

P.S. Where’s @jevank, btw? He was a great and more than competent contributor with the highest quality especially with qwt, yet haven’t seen him for almost a year and a half here? I hope it’s not related to reputation risks for the community.

Whose attitude are you referring to here?