Where is the most optimal place to put custom folder icons?

Anyone know the most optimal place to put custom folder icons in fedora?

~/.local/share/icons

or

/usr/share/icons

would it be the same location in a template as it would to make them persistent in a one-off appvm?

how about debian/whonix?

thanks in advance!

ava

fedora!
info —> User Guide - Customizing the Desktop - Fedora Project Wiki

Would it be the same location in a template as it would to make them persistent in a one-off appvm?

To be persistent in AppVM info —> How to make any file persistent (bind-dirs) | Qubes OS

How about debian/whonix?
Same just apply fedora instruction its still linux.

You also need to take in cosideration your Windows Manager i3,Awesome,xfce4,Wayland etc:.

RTFM! your Windows Manager docs!

Cheers!
~X

p.s. “Feel free to dm if you need help”

1 Like

thx for the reply!

not sure why you linked this. it does not help answer my question.

thx. i know how use bind-dirs because, as you said, i “rtfm” :smirk:.

to clarify, what i asked was “where is the most optimal place to put custom folder icons?” and is it the same place in a template (fedora or debian/whonix) as in an appvm to make them persistent?

this is a qubes specific question (answer below).

using bind-dirs is not necessary since “In an app qube all of the file system comes from the template except /home , /usr/local , and /rw.”

so, ~/.local/share/icons is a persistent place to place the custom folder icons and so is /usr/share/icons.

the answer as i have come to understand it is…

if you want the custom icons to be available system-wide for all users and/or install them in a template so they will carry over to appvms based on that template, then place the folder icons in /usr/share/icons

if you only have one user account, or just want to install the custom folder icons for one appvm, then place them in ~/.local/share/icons and they will remain persistent.

hope this helps someone

ava

ps. @xn0px90 cheers! thx for replying and for offering further help via dm.

1 Like