Where is the Anaconda Configuration File Located?

I want to install Qubes on a new Dell Latitude 5521 with Nvidia MX450 graphics card, but unfortunately, Anaconda crashes because it fails to start the xserver. After it crashed, there is no terminal to restart Anaconda, so I must prevent it from trying to restart the xserver. I was able to successfully run Debian 11 (testing) on that machine so I am also confident that I can manage to run Qubes as soon as I have it installed.

I dug through the Anaconda documentation and found the inst.text option which should work because the installer is able to use the VGA console.

However, where do I find the Anaconda configuration file in the Qubes installation image?

@Ilka wrote:

I want to install Qubes on a new Dell Latitude 5521 with Nvidia MX450 graphics card, but unfortunately, Anaconda crashes because it fails to start the xserver.

Have you seen this?

was able to successfully run Debian 11 (testing) on that machine so I am also confident that I can manage to run Qubes as soon as I have it installed.

Have you checked if your CPU supports Vt-d? I’d do that first before spending any more time on this. Just put your CPU name into a web search engine, follow the ark.intel.com link and look for Vt-d.

I dug through the Anaconda documentation and found the inst.text option which should work because the installer is able to use the VGA console.

I am pretty sure your issue is caused by the Nvidia card, there is a separate troubleshooting guide for that.

Thank you very much for that quick reply!

No, I haven’t, thanks, that was very useful! I added nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel line before but it did not fix anything. I now tried the entire nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off and noexitboot=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau --- intitrd.img neither of which has any effect at all. I still get these X Startup failed, aborting installation messages.

Yes, of course. I have an Intel i7-11850H :heart_eyes_cat:

Anaconda still recommends if the graphical installation interface fails to start, try again with the inst.text bootoption to start text installation. Any idea where I can find Anaconda’s configuration file on Qubes installation media?

When the install media boots, doesn’t it give you an option to start the installer in text-only mode?

Unfortunately not. My BIOS only support UEFI boot (Dell refuses to ever support Legacy boot again) and there is nothing I can do until Anaconda starts. Anaconda starts the console and then it immediately crashes and does not accept any keyboard input anymore. I cannot even switch to tty2.

So I need a way to keep Anaconda from trying to start the xserver. It could just drop me into its console or start text-based installation. But that requires to edit the Anaconda config file, as far as I understand it.

Understood. I don’t know and couldn’t find the answer. What I did find is #5609 stating that anaconda rescue is currently broken on R4.1

I don’t even get to that point when I add the rescue parameter to the kernel line. It just gives me a blank screen as soon as the init system is through.

However, where/who do I have to ask if I want to find out where the Anaconda config file lies?

Apparently, I can just add Anaconda option to the kernel line in the /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg. That line already contains another Anaconda option inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0.4-x86_64 to select the installation medium.

Adding inst.text or rescue or inst.rescue does not work for me (I get a blank screen) but at least now I know where to put those options.

This is the right place. Give it some time until the other regulars saw your post.

Obviously you could checkout the qubes-builder, analyze the build process and find your answers that way.

(made the title into a question for clarity. Feel free to adjust it)