What would you like to see improved in Qubes OS?

My big wish is that LibreOffice will run smoothly.

2 Likes

I believe that Plasma, with some tweaks and helper scripts, offers greatly
improved accessibility over Xfce.
I have always found it hard to battle with Gnome, and havent tried for
some time.

2 Likes

A few years ago, I hurt my right handed and found that GNOME was the best desktop for me to use with a single hand: Solene'% : How I ended up liking GNOME

this is good accessibility :smiley:

2 Likes

Usability improvement for the Application Menu: in the (Apps/Templates/Services) column of the Application Menu it would be nice to be able to “lock” an entry by clicking it. I find annoying to try to open an application for a given qube and realize that I’ve open a different application in a different qube just because when moving the pointer I’ve come over a different entry in the App/Template/Service column.

2 Likes

@kenosen there is a script to do that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Somewhat helpful, but primarily aimed at upgrading template repos to 4.2 with the extra work of having to run inside each template. Thinking more like this:

1 Like

Another way to actually do. :slight_smile:
The two can be complementary. I also keep these scripts on hand :wink:

1 Like

Maybe we should add to everyone’s wishlist this:

• Have the 1.9k issues on GitHub fixed.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Actually Qubes-OS is pretty great right now.
Having said that, what I found during my journey is that there are many features which are getting implemented day by day, but people who are developers or well versed with linux only using them or I should say able to use them. Because no one cares about writing documentation in qubes team. Most of the documentation comes from community, and that’s okay. But obviously person who is changing qubes as developer best knows what going on.So Qubes really needs at least occasional documentation update from developers.
As you can create great things but you should also simplify that to audience. Otherwise it’s all a lost potential.

3 Likes
  1. I agree on that. I would hope for better and more visible plans and roadmap for future releases. Qubes OS still lacks it to my opinion.
  2. I would hope the development priorities could be reviewed towards stability and users’ needs. Having Qubes OS for a year without working keyboard layout switching, or without (almost) support of Windows VMs was a terrible experience for community. I think in such cases everything should be postponed and all should be done to fix such regressions, to prevent frustration in the community.
    Note, that it is not about my priorities, because I was able to make layout work better for me (and helped with fixing some of the layout issues on github), and lacking QWT for Windows VMs did not affect me completely, because I already had everything working. But for many users it all was (is) a disaster.
  3. Reviewing and accepting qubes-completion to make everybody’s life better. The contribution exists for a while, it works well for me and other users.
5 Likes

Easy access to nested virtualization, so that we can run android emulators inside of a qube in qubes os

1 Like

I would love incremental backups.
Or did I miss them somehow? If yes, pleeease tell me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would like to see some basic UEFI -Bios instructions , what to engage/disengage, granted thats complicated, at least make a try, I don’t know how to match Qubes to the various UEFI, its like a minefield (other than the basics), hopefully I don’t have security holes, just from having no idea how to setup the UEFI

4 Likes

This is a HUGE thread, so I am probably going to re-state things. This is also on 4.1.

But after several weeks of intensively handling a LOT of information (up and downloads and sideways inter-qube) through email, webforms, Signal, etc, I would like the following:

1. Group the tabs for each qube together in the xfce4-panel (at least I think that’s the right name for it). The tabs group by program, I think, e.g. Nautilus together, browsers (alllllll of them) together- its a problem when you’re working between a few qubes and multiple instances of apps (Nautilus, Firefox) on each.

2. More colors. e.g. I have two or three qubes that are yellow, and choosing the right tab or window is actually really tiresome/error-prone.

n.b Mouse-over doesn’t always help - the labels that appear don’t mention the qube its from.

1. Drag and drop. I know there are risks, there needs to be confirmations, etc etc, but ohmyfuckinggod constantly working in and out of the Qubes Incoming folder (with the added hassles of the above) is a really cognitive overburden I just don’t need.

2. Here’s one - consider making QubesIncoming subfolders disappear automatically when you’ve emptied them. Makes that folder a lot cleaner, with a lot less hassle.

3. Launch a terminal from Nautilus by a shortcut key/menu option when you’re in ‘list’ view. There’s no empty space to click on to get the menu with the terminal option. If its there (I know its a Gnome thing, but COME ON, Qubes, you can do it laddie), I can’t find it.

2 Likes
  1. Drag and drop. I know there are risks, there needs to be confirmations, etc etc, but ohmyfuckinggod constantly working in and out of the Qubes Incoming folder (with the added hassles of the above) is a really cognitive overburden I just don’t need.

need != want

Unlike systems aimed at imprisoning the user into a convenient luxury jail, secure systems are not aimed at forgetful user enjoyment. A secure system involves a security-minded user and what you call a cognitive burden is actually a good reminder for that. So, as long as you aim for security, you need that. It’s a paradigm shift.

5 Likes

It’s not because it’s secure we shouldn’t have a proper user experience when possible though

4 Likes

It’s not because it’s secure we shouldn’t have a proper user experience when possible though

I don’t know what you mean by that. Whether something is proper or not needs to be evaluated in relation to something else. It has no meaning per se.

Is it proper to drag and drop between qubes? Or is it proper not to? If the former is proper, why has it not been done so far? Or how is each option evaluated? How exactly would such thing work? What programs and what desktop environments need to be compatible with it? Many questions.

1 Like

nice…

i can add some more

1. add icon " Open File Manager" next to the minimize/maximize/close button

2. Put the option to show networking (sys-wifi/sys-eth) in the title of each appvm

Example AppVM window: If you open Firefox: In the title of your window you will see:

[disp1533] [sys-wifi] - Mozilla Firefox

[disp1535] [sys-eth] - Mozilla Firefox

[disp1567] [sys-whonix] - Mozilla Firefox

Sometimes we open several disps, with several different sys-nets, that would help a lot!

4 Likes

Further to my problem with qube window management:

I’d like an option to move all qube windows to another workspace at once.

In the same way that a right-click on the tab in the xfce4-panel offers an option to move that one tab to a new workspace, there should also be an option to do the same with all the tabs of the same qube all at once.

Again, this is a way of managing many tabs, many of which are the same color and (almost) indistinguishable from each other (e.g. lots of yellow firefox tabs).

2 Likes

@tree
For more colors i use this scripts. Easy and functional :slight_smile:

More explanations here:

2 Likes