What is the best private browser for non-anonymous activity? (and general configuration for it)

I would like to switch to Qubes OS and I’m wondering about what are the best browsers I could use.
I think that if I want to navigate anonymously the best choice is Tor Browser with DuckDuckGo search engine and NoScript extension enabled.
But there will be some qubes in which I need to go in a browser and log in with personal accounts and also use my actual IP.
In those cases, what configuration is the best? Because I would like to avoid those browser and search engine that as soon as you give them your data, they share it with everyone. So, as long as it’s not fault of the website / social media in which i logged in for my data-sharing, it would be great to have a browser that doesn’t share the sensible data I put in it and that blocks as most types of trackers as possibile.
Any suggested configuration? Thanks.

P.S. I also heard about creating qubes with Whonix. Could this be useful for my case? If yes, in which way?

The following guide makes the best use of Qubes disposible vms and Firefox: https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/guide-automatically-install-extensions-and-configure-new-dispvm-hardened-firefox-profiles-with-arkenfox-user-js-and-policies/11786?preview_theme_id=1

For some personal accounts you may not want a disposable vm, in which case Firefox with arkenfox settings, is a good option, or the Brave browser if you prefer chromium, both of which are in the Debian and Fedora repos. Mullvad browser is another option, but would require more effort to install.

2 Likes

I would recommend Vivaldi, it is my go to every time. And It was made with security in mind, alongside convenience. It is also extremely customizable and feature rich. You can basically make it how ever you want! I’ve used Vivaldi for several years now, and in my opinion, browsers like Firefox and brave don’t compare. That is my opinion, however, so I would encourage you to try it out for yourself. As for configuration, just download the linux version here, and follow the guide here. I hope this helps!
Also, here is the feature page, which may be helpful.

This is optional, but I normally install the duckduckgo extension to go with it in my initial set up.

Hi folks, please keep in mind that the forum’s topic is Qubes OS, and that general advice about privacy practices should be sought after and given in different venues.

The OP doesn’t have access to the All Around Qubes category yet, so moving the topic there (or joining existing topics in that category) is not an option at this point.

Because of that, I’ll ask everyone to please stick to advice that’s based on specificities of setting up privacy-respecting tools and workflows on Qubes OS and taking advantage of Qubes OS properties, so that we don’t have to close the thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know those contraints may be frustrating at times, but they’re here to keep the forum useful over time for its main purpose which is providing relevant information and community support to Qubes OS users.

@Jeremopo The All Around Qubes category is a special category where themes that are off-topic in the rest of the forum, but of general interest to Qubes OS users are discussed.

That category is only accessible to people who’ve been participating for a little while in the on-topic sections of the forum. You’ll know you’re there when a member badge appears in your notifications.

I have installed Mullvad Browser and am working on a VPN service for it. Works well. Mullvad has taken the best from TBB that is relevant to VPN networking.

Brave browser also works without any major obstacles. U2F keys are supported by Brave which means you and only you have permission to pass to certain webauth challenges. I think security keys (FIDO, hmac, OTP) are the only certain way information is assured, non-anonymously (like you said) with strong, rigid designation online.

Vivaldi is a proprietary and close-source blob. So it should be avoided and considered to be a bad option for both security and privacy.
It is way better use free/libre and open source solutions (like Firefox, its derivatives, or at least ungoogled Chromium) than Vivaldi.

I like to use Firefox as it can be heavily customized and support many extensions. Mostly uBlock in semi automatic mode is really efficient.

1 Like

I agree, Firefox + uBlock Origin is already a bare minimum that is enough for many.
In case of Qubes OS it can be a good idea to add Firefox extension for changing user agent, because it will have Qubes OS in it otherwise (I think).

Qubes OS is not part of the user-agent, it just shows that you’re using Linux and X11. Changing the user-agent isn’t necessary anyway, because there are several techniques to determine the real values.

I stopped using Firefox after I found out about this, I dont believe Firefox can be trusted anymore.

I’ll have to disagree. While open source options are good, it doesn’t mean that those which are not, are not safe or secure. I’ve been part of the Vivaldi community for several years now, and they are very clear on the principles on which they are built, and I do trust them. Now obviously you are entitled to your own opinion, however I would encourage you to at least give them a chance, they are very open about it all. If you have time, I would ask you to read these: ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Sorry that’s a lot :laughing:) Like I said before, Vivaldi is open about their passion for privacy and security, this campaign they launched may give additional insight, 9. Anyway, the decision is up to you, those are just my reasons. Sorry if I went on a little rant there. :laughing:
P.S. Also, Vivaldi is free, and as to the best of my knowledge, ungoogled, (They are pretty adamantly against google).

The purpose of this forum is to help the community understand and use Qubes OS. That is not what is being discussed here.

People who have reached the member trust level and are interested in general privacy advice can find similar conversations in the All around Qubes category, for example:

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/secbrowser-alternatives/3560

This thread is closed now.