Weird notification -- Denied: whonix.newstatus

I’m new to this and trying to learn the ropes so bear with me.

I’ve gotten whonix 15 installed and connecting to tor but there are a few instances where I will get a notification in dom0 saying something along the lines of “Denied: whonix.newstatus from sys-whonix to sys-whonix”

This happens in the following situations:

• Networking a workstation through a gateway with a name other than sys-whonix
  • shutting down the workstation
  • shutting down the gateway

Again I have no issue connecting to the Tor network but I’m not sure what this message means or means for the anonymity of whonix. Any help appreciated!

1 Like

Hi there. This question may be better asked on the Whonix forum:

I have what it’s look like an equivalent problem with the following error on Qubes 4.1

denied whonix.Sdwdate status
 denied whonix.Sdwdate status from sys-whnix to disp4478

Screenshot_2021-06-29_04-57-10

1 Like

Maybe it’s related too ?

Sounds similar to [Qubes] Ignore qrexec to self during vm shutdown by icequbes1 · Pull Request #3 · Whonix/sdwdate-gui · GitHub. Perhaps that fix was incomplete and is a starter for additional investigation.

1 Like

Same issue here. The tor works but the notification is annoying.

This might be caused by your VM “disp4478” not being tagged as anon-vm.

/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/whonix.SdwdateStatus in dom0 basically states that if tag:anon-vm is not connected on the other end it will be denied.

To add tag to your VM, you can use qvm-tags commands:
[@dom0]$ qvm-tags VMNAME add anon-vm

Also before you add, you might want to check the tag list of a VM:
[@dom0]$ qvm-tags VMNAME list

2 Likes

Indeed some of my whonix dvms are not marked as anon-vm. How do I fix that?

I’ve also be getting some of these for a while now.

@deeplow @arkenoi

onion:
http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/qubes-os-4-1-denied-whonix-newstatus-dom0-permission/12954

5 Likes

I experience this issue in Qubes 4.2 as well with a Kicksecure App-VM, the solution [@dom0]$ qvm-tags VMNAME add anon-vm posted above solved the problem.