Warning "USB in dom0 is not restricted" but no USB devices

I thought that I had successfully installed Qubes on an Asus laptop. After the installation, I rebooted and removed the installation media. The Select Operating System screen displayed, so I selected Qubes, with Xen hypervisor. Then I got an error message: Warning: USB in dom0 is not restricted. Consider rd.qubes.hide_all_usb or usbcore.authorized_default=0.

When I Googled the error message, I learned that it usually indicates a USB keyboard or mouse that isn’t recognized. But I don’t have a USB keyboard or mouse. In fact, I have no peripheral devices at all.

In dom0, look in /etc/default/grub and make sure you have rd.qubes.hide_all_usb in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX. If you don’t have it, add it before rhgb and quiet like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" [...] rd.qubes.hide_all_usb rhgb quiet"

Then, run one of these commands in dom0:

# Qubes 4.2 or Qubes 4.1 Legacy boot
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

# Qubes 4.1 with UEFI
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg

It’s not about USB devices. It’s about USB controllers. You didn’t choose to install sys-usb during install. I would reinstall Qubes and choose the option, rather than to manually create sys-usb afterward.

I can’t run a terminal in dom0, as QubesOS doesn’t finish loading after it displays the error message

I wasn’t prompted to install sys-usb during install. In fact, I wasn’t prompted to create any Qubes at all. I will reflash the USB and then re-install the OS.

1 Like

Just to be sure, did you actually Start Qubes after the installation? After you reboot out of the installation media, on your first boot you should see a screen like in the installer that days something like “System - Qubes OS.” THAT’S where you configure what qubes you create, including sys-usb. I ask because, on that first boot you’ll always see that error before it gets to that screen.

1 Like

That was indeed the problem. I had not realized that I needed to hit enter and get past the error message to continue with the installation.,

1 Like