VMs not created after fresh install

Hello everyone,

Update: I could resolve the problem after a fresh reinstall in UEFI mode with new formatted USB device.

After fresh installation of Qubes OS 4.1 no matter if UEFI or Legacy no VMs were created.

In the initial configuration menu under Templates Configuration the following lines are not checked and grey:
“Fedora not available”
“Debian not available”
“Whonix not available”

After confirming to finish the initial configuration I receive following message:

Qubes initial configuration failed. Login to the system and check /var/log/salt/minion for details. You can retry configuration by calling ‘sudo qubesctl --all state.highstage’ in dom0 (you will get detailed state there).

/var/log/salt/minion shows among other events:

[salt.pillar] [CRITICAL] Specfied ext_pillar interface qvm_prefs is unavailable
[sat.state] [ERROR] =====['present']=====
qvm.create: error: the following arguments are requited: vmname
[...]
/usr/bin/qvm-create sys-net --lass=AppVM --label=red
app: Error creating VM: Got empty response from qubesd. See journalctl in dom0 for details.
[...]

Calling sudo qubesctl --all state.highstage result in similar errors ending with

[...]
DOM0 configuration failed, not continuing

Do you have an idea how I can fix this issue?

I followed Qubes 4.1 installation failure - #12 by Rnd3sB3g13rng

At the end of the install process before reboot I checked via tmux session panes (CTRL-ALT-F2) that in /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/qubes/template-packages there were no files.

I executed

dnf config-manager --add-repo /tmp/installer.repo
Unable to detect release version (user ‘–releaseserver’ to specify release version)
adding repo from: file://tmp/installer.repo

and

dnf download --downloaddir=/mnt/sysimage/var/lib/qubes/template-packages qubes-template-*
Unable to detect release version (user ‘–releaseserver’ to specify release version)
3.8 MB/s | 3.0kB 00:00
anaconda

Then I did a reboot but nothing changed in the initial configuration menu.

Just curious, are you using an NVIDIA graphics card? This happened to me and I was able to pinpoint it to the graphics card on my hardware set-up.

Glad you got it figured out though!

Solution

Hi. Your post helps others in the same situation find the solution. There’s no shame in leaving it up. Even if you feel you did something basic.

Also if you’re shy or something, please feel encouraged. The the community is supportive of newcomers. Also we decided to have a no deletion policy.

Thank you for your answer. I am not using NVIDIA graphics card. It is an ingegrated one.

Alright, I have recovered my original posts. Thank you.

1 Like